Guppy in distress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a male guppy yesterday for my cycled 10g tank...it has 2 male guppys and 4 female guppys. The male I purchased yesterday seemed ok after drip acclamation and adding him (he was swimming great and getting frisky with the ladies) today he is swimming around bumping into everything (like he is blind) with his mouth hanging open (not gasping just open mouthed). my parameters are normal (0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate) help...

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure what that could be but I think it would be in your best interest to do some larger or more frequent water changes and see if that helps.

I do approx 40% weekly. The tank also gets aquarium salt at each water change (I use prime as a conditioner and the water is aged a few days prior to the change) he is a very newly acquired (less than 24 hrs) tank temp is at 78.

Why do you add aquarium salt every week? It can be more of a detriment than benefit when added frequently. It is an effective remedy for illness but you shouldn't be using it weekly. Also, if you are doing this because livebearers like some salt, get the marine salt at your lfs and not the aquarium salt.

Yes for the live bearers...only add 1/2 tbsp for 5gal. I will get the marine salt.

Unfortunately I just found him dead...when I pulled him out he had what looked like a sm white tumor(?) Inside his mouth. Didnt look like ich (was irregularly shaped) tried to get a pic of it but my camera is not that good.

Is it contagious? What it the treatment for future reference?

I'd really need more information to help you with that. I wouldn't want to give you information that doesn't apply.

Just QT if you can and keep up with water params.

Missie, I love guppies and grow them for a long time. They don't like any nitrate so the advice given to you to "do more frequent or larger water changes" was good advice. Indeed I agree with this person still. Nitrates at all above maybe ten is bad for guppies because it gives them fungal growth on wounds they get from frequent playing around.
So do some more PWC's and see what happens.

Thanks will do...the other ones are doing great (other than camallanus worms starting treatment as soon as I get it) we think that the little guy had some sort of trauma from the lfs where we got him. The bump in his mouth ended up being a piece of his own lip

Back
Top Bottom