Guppy not eating, drinking at surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a cycled 25 gallon with 1 guppy and 1 platy. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates. 4 anubia plants. Ph is 8.0

My husband and I were worried that the platy was bullying the guppy and keeping him away from food. That seems to have stopped, but now when we put food in front of the guppy he ignores it.

He does seem to be picking at the brown algae in the tank. He also seems to be hanging out alot in the back of the aquarium by the heater and filter. Sometimes he is at the surface of the water and his mouth is moving like he is eating or drinking something at the surface. Is that normal? What does that mean?

Is the water clean with bits of dirt flying around?

25 Gallons Is Fine For Them
Your levels are great

When you look at the fish is there any damage , is the fins ok is the fish the same colour?

Is the temp the same as always?

Hopefully we can find out what the matter is

Aston.

When I look at the fish, I can't see any damage. Fins and color are ok. He just seems listless.

The temp doesn't vary much-usually between 78.5 and 79.5.

I do 50% pwc with Prime every other day to keep nitrates in check.

I've had the guppy for 6 weeks now. The 3 other guppies we purchased with him are all dead. 1 died the same day. 1 died a week later from swim bladder disease. 1 died from dropsy another week later. Maybe the cycling process was too rough on him?

They're not very hardy. Plus, with just the 2 fish in that size tank, the guppy is probably feeling very alone and stressed.

Why are your nitrates so high with only those 2 small fish?

I don't know why my nitrates are so high. I do shake the bottle well and shake the test tube well. I do have 10 nitrates in my tap though.

I'm going on vacation this weekend so when I get back I'll get more fish. I'm not sure about getting more guppies though. I was thinking of harlequin rasboras maybe or sterba cory catfish. Or should I take a chance on more guppies now that my tank is cycled?

Oh, the nitrate bottle is nearly done. Soon I'll get a new bottles and maybe that will change the readings?

Next Thursday I'm getting some more plants, so they should help the nitrate situation.

When you do your nitrate test, you have to actually bash that bottle against a countertop or something because the reagent crystalizes. I mean really bash it. It should be your "Jerry Springer" moment. :lol:

Hmm, after I did the water change today I didn't fill the tank to the very top. I left space for the filter water to splash a bit.

My husband thinks that the male platy is bullying him. The platy will back the guppy into a corner and then dart at him if he tries to leave it. The platy won't chase him all over the tank (we returned 2 platys that did that)-just dart at him a bit. Could that be why the guppy isn't eating flakes anymore?

Oh, and now the guppy is no longer at the surface. Maybe it was the oxygen?

Would getting more guppies help the guppy? Would it make the platy back off because he'd be outnumbered?

I would suggest your guppy is super stressed. Either put some plants in to create hiding space, return the platy and get more guppies or return the guppy.
I've never had a guppy act like that :(

Yesterday I went to Petsmart and got the guppy 2 female guppies and 3 harlequin rasboras (I'll get more rasboras next week if all goes well). The guppy is much more active now and even the platy seems mellow.

The guppy is no longer at the surface so much, but still picking at the algae like crazy and not really eating his flakes. Maybe he just doesn't like the flakes? His stomach doesn't look caved in, so he doesn't look like he is starving.

Thanks for the advice! The guppy seems much happier now.

Mine continuously eat! Once all the flakes have gone then they nibble alge on leaves lol

Back
Top Bottom