Guppy oddly shaped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had this female guppy for a while now and she gave birth a couple of months ago and she hasn't shown signs of being pregnant or giving birth since then and now she is oddly shaped and she won't straighten out heres a picture of her

image-2827508321.jpg

image-3143971470.jpg

IME it's a curved spine (don't know the proper name) one of my guppies developed this after her last drop. I believe it can be caused by either carrying a heavy load (fry) or poor nutrition. I know this is not the greatest answer but I hope it helped. Maybe someone with more experience with this could help. Try contacting a mod to see if you could get the thread moved to "unhealthy fish" to get more answers. Best of luck!

butterfly_koi said:
IME it's a curved spine (don't know the proper name) one of my guppies developed this after her last drop. I believe it can be caused by either carrying a heavy load (fry) or poor nutrition. I know this is not the greatest answer but I hope it helped. Maybe someone with more experience with this could help. Try contacting a mod to see if you could get the thread moved to "unhealthy fish" to get more answers. Best of luck!

Thanks! So is it best to euthinize her?

I honestly couldn't give you the best answer for that, I'm sorry! I do not if the gup will heal or not. I am dealing with this as well and cannot bring myself to euthanizing her. I do not know the effects of a curved spine long term.

She can probably live like that. I had a female that had a spine that look like a "v" but sadly Columnaris took her, along with 20 other of my guppies. She could swim just fine.

butterfly_koi said:
I honestly couldn't give you the best answer for that, I'm sorry! I do not if the gup will heal or not. I am dealing with this as well and cannot bring myself to euthanizing her. I do not know the effects of a curved spine long term.

Thanks anyway maybe you'll find answers for your guppy to!

Tormented said:
She can probably live like that. I had a female that had a spine that look like a "v" but sadly Columnaris took her, along with 20 other of my guppies. She could swim just fine.

I forgot to mention when she poops its really thick and she usually swims around with it hanging on still until it falls and she's like rocking in the water as she swims.

Fishguy1997 said:
Thanks! So is it best to euthinize her?
You can enthinize her but it all depends. This deformation will affect some of her fry. If it doesn't look good. IE the poo and the rocking then it might be the best option. To do this take a glass of tank water and put her in it. Then put it in the freezer or fridge and the coldness will send her to sleep. Good luck!

Samzter said:
You can enthinize her but it all depends. This deformation will affect some of her fry. If it doesn't look good. IE the poo and the rocking then it might be the best option. To do this take a glass of tank water and put her in it. Then put it in the freezer or fridge and the coldness will send her to sleep. Good luck!

I thought if you put her in oil it will kill her.... Is it olive oil I can use

To humanely euthanize a fish, the freezer is the best way. The cold from the freezing water will cause the guppies body temp to drop low enough to where the fish will become unconscious and eventually die. Its almost like them falling asleep and just staying asleep.

butterfly_koi said:
To humanely euthanize a fish, the freezer is the best way. The cold from the freezing water will cause the guppies body temp to drop low enough to where the fish will become unconscious and eventually die. Its almost like them falling asleep and just staying asleep.

Okay thanks

Samzter said:
I don't think you can. I thought you can only use clove oil.

Olive oil will suffocate the fish which in turn would be a slow death. If cove oil is used you need to also mix it with a clear grain alcohol such as vodka. IMO the freezer is the best way.

There's a sticky in the unhealthy fish section that provides detailed ways for humane euthanasia. If you choose the freezer option, make sure to put the tank water in the freezer for a while BEFORE you put the fish in. Using a little salt in the water will lower freezing temps and make the euthanasia quicker, which is far more humane than slowly letting the fish freeze to death.

Sssea said:
There's a sticky in the unhealthy fish section that provides detailed ways for humane euthanasia. If you choose the freezer option, make sure to put the tank water in the freezer for a while BEFORE you put the fish in. Using a little salt in the water will lower freezing temps and make the euthanasia quicker, which is far more humane than slowly letting the fish freeze to death.

Thanks I moved her to my 55 gallon community tank to see if that will help her get better. I'm away this weekend so I have no clue on how she's doing.

IME, the most humane way to euthanize is using CLOVE OIL. I've never heard of anyone using olive oil. That sounds obviously cruel to me. Freezing can be a slow painful process. Clove oil sedates and slows down metabolism before death so in my opinion is the least painful for the fish.

I'm always down for the quick head chop. One and done. Can be done in less than 5 seconds from netting out to chop if you don't hesitate at the idea of cutting a fish's head off which would cause more stress than necessary to the fish.

Thanks guys i came home today and went to my fish tank to see that she is no where to be found in going to look around more for her but I think she might have died and then been eaten

Back
Top Bottom