guppy problems help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moocoo1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
Sorry about the wall of text :angel:
Just signed up because I am having some issues. I am relatively new to this whole fosh keeping thing. Bassically I have gotten myself some what I thought were easy fish to keep. Unfortunately I am having some very annoying issues. We regularly test our tank and everything is PERFECT the only thing is nitrate was about 15. We also got our water tested at an aquatics shop they told us all was perfect. We do a water change every two weeks of about 25%. The issue is we are finding our female guppy are randomly dying. They are swimming around normally one minute and the next we will find one dead. We had one whos tail ripped from being netted into a small tank for observation. So we thought it may be a fungal infection so we started to treat the tank with stress coat then melaphix That was at the suggestion of the local maidenhead aquatics.we also did a 45% water change with ro water with minerals added. She perked up for a day but after that died. We are also having random guppies just die. This is stressing me beyond beleif. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tl;dr guppies dying dont know why everything seems ok.

thank you

Michael

What's the m to f ratio? Also changing water chemistry that rapidly is never a good thing..

Hi

It is a 20f to 5m ratio I try and keep a large female population to reduce stress. I know doing that high of a water change isn't normally a good idea the only reason I done this was incase there was an issue ie. Fungal

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi It is a 20f to 5m ratio I try and keep a large female population to reduce stress. I know doing that high of a water change isn't normally a good idea the only reason I done this was incase there was an issue ie. Fungal Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I meant switching between tap and ro, ph swings arnt good..

Sorry I misunderstood, I intend to continue with ro water. But the issue with the fish was before this change. Thank you for the advice

That sounds very odd. Are they still dying?

Guppies are very sensitive to changes so keeping everything the same is the best bet. I missed why are you switching to RO water?

Using the least amount of Meds is best. Melafix does not cure any diseases like it claims. It won't cause them harm though.

Is your tank cycled?Female guppies are more sensitive than males to ammonia and nitrites. It will kill them quickly I have found. It could be ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Sorry I misunderstood, I intend to continue with ro water. But the issue with the fish was before this change. Thank you for the advice

Sorry I missed this. If the problems were before the water change that is so odd. And you said your tank tested ok. Something else then. Hmmmm, weird

Do you have rocks releasing something toxic like lead or a heavy metal?

How about the temp? (just thinking out loud)

How long have you had them?

Hi. The rocks I have in the tank are some paving slabs I broke into small peices then soaked in hot water befor putting them in. Then slate which I did the same. The temp is 26. The time I've had them range from 1 week to 3 weeks.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom