Guppy tail problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't understand why my guppies' tails always end up ragged? I've not seen any aggression at all in the tank (it's a community tank) so don't think it's that. My water params are good (I do a 50% PWC weekly and it's a mature tank).

When I've looked it up online people always seem to say it's other fish nipping but like I said I've never seen any aggression in my tank so what else could it be?

And just to clarify there's no white or any sign that it's fungus or infection. The 3 blue guppies in my tank have ragged tails but they've been that way for months and they are just fine.

Any ideas anyone?

If it is not a health issue it could just be genetics?
Do they look worse now then before?
Pics????
I know you don't want to hear this but,
columnaris does not have to be fuzzy.
Pictures will get better then speculation.

If it is not a health issue it could just be genetics?
Do they look worse now then before?
Pics????
I know you don't want to hear this but,
columnaris does not have to be fuzzy.
Pictures will get better then speculation.

No they aren't getting worse. Been the same for weeks. I will take pix when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looking again I agree it's nipping as I can see some marks on another that are round like a bite. Problem is I have no clue who's doing the biting so don't know who to move! I could move all the guppies but it could be them biting each other! I guess I will just move the guppies and see what happens. Thx for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Who else is in the community?:popcorn:
I'm ok finding bullies or those that don't fit...:rolleyes:
Could be the 3 boys just whipping each other:whip: ,But one would look a whole lot better IMO ,possibly even un touched.
Some "non aggressive" fish are just drawn to long flowing fins and gups with that much finnage are slow targets IMO!!

Okay, my experience with guppies. They need to be in a species only tank in my opinion. I had guppies by themselves in a 10 gallon and they looked flawlessly beautiful with perfect tails. I then move them into my 80 gallon and well guess what happened. Every couple days there was a new nip in their tails, their tails got so ragged and hideous I just liked the guppies for the fact they were cute but not beautiful. I saw no fish nipping them ever so who knows. I think they nip them at night or when you're not looking. Tetra's are no doubt notorious fin nippers without you ever seeing them do it. Anyway it brought me to the conclusion that if you want flawless looking guppies. Let them be on their own away from harms way.

I saw one of my cardinals have a little suck on the end of an angel fish's tail the other day. And I have NEVER seen one do that before lol. So be aware that fish do nip and good luck every catching them.

Who else is in the community?:popcorn:
I'm ok finding bullies or those that don't fit...:rolleyes:
Could be the 3 boys just whipping each other:whip: ,But one would look a whole lot better IMO ,possibly even un touched.
Some "non aggressive" fish are just drawn to long flowing fins and gups with that much finnage are slow targets IMO!!

Okay, my experience with guppies. They need to be in a species only tank in my opinion. I had guppies by themselves in a 10 gallon and they looked flawlessly beautiful with perfect tails. I then move them into my 80 gallon and well guess what happened. Every couple days there was a new nip in their tails, their tails got so ragged and hideous I just liked the guppies for the fact they were cute but not beautiful. I saw no fish nipping them ever so who knows. I think they nip them at night or when you're not looking. Tetra's are no doubt notorious fin nippers without you ever seeing them do it. Anyway it brought me to the conclusion that if you want flawless looking guppies. Let them be on their own away from harms way.

I saw one of my cardinals have a little suck on the end of an angel fish's tail the other day. And I have NEVER seen one do that before lol. So be aware that fish do nip and good luck every catching them.

Thanks for the input. I have australian rainbows, corydoras, swordtails, mollies and neon tetras. Last night I hid and watched the tank and I did notice some nipping but guess what......it was one of the guppies doing it!! Though they were nipping at a molly not another guppy.

Anyway I am open to the guppy only tank apart from that I have a second tank which currently has a dwarf gourami in it that I can't put in my main tank (he was stressed in there). So I'll move my neons in the 10g and put the guppies in there with the DG. He's pretty timid so I don't think he'll cause them any problems. Maybe I should leave the guppy I did see nipping in the main tank though!

Thanks for the input. I have australian rainbows, corydoras, swordtails, mollies and neon tetras. Last night I hid and watched the tank and I did notice some nipping but guess what......it was one of the guppies doing it!! Though they were nipping at a molly not another guppy.

Anyway I am open to the guppy only tank apart from that I have a second tank which currently has a dwarf gourami in it that I can't put in my main tank (he was stressed in there). So I'll move my neons in the 10g and put the guppies in there with the DG. He's pretty timid so I don't think he'll cause them any problems. Maybe I should leave the guppy I did see nipping in the main tank though!

Yeah it's always hard to find the culprit of any fish sin. For example rummynose tetras disappear in my tank about once every couple months. It could be anyone. Angels, synodontis or maybe the discus. But whoever is doing it doesn't touch the cardinal tetras. No idea why. Catching fish doing naughty acts is sometimes near impossible.

Yeah it's always hard to find the culprit of any fish sin. For example rummynose tetras disappear in my tank about once every couple months. It could be anyone. Angels, synodontis or maybe the discus. But whoever is doing it doesn't touch the cardinal tetras. No idea why. Catching fish doing naughty acts is sometimes near impossible.

Sounds like we need the fishy version of the Nanny Cam!

Back
Top Bottom