guppy tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demonicbrittany

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pretty new 55 gallon tank. It's about 3 months old. I used filter media from my established older but smaller tank to cycle it. It had a very short cycle. All parameters were at 0 after a short diatom bloom I took care of around 1 month into the set up. According to all testing the tank is completely cycled for the past 2 months. I started adding new guppies slowly over a month time but no new additions in a month to 5 weeks. My current issue is: Just a total of 7 guppies in a 55 gallon and all parameters are at 0 and ph at 7.4 as of last night. A few weeks ago my guppies started breeding so I assumed I had a happy harmony in my tank. One female dropped some fry but they were all eaten by the other fish about 2 weeks ago. Female 2 dropped fry about 5 days ago and she started swimming with her tail in the air the day before yesterday. She was still pretty square looking so I figured she still had babies inside of her. Her scales began to look like strips down her side but I just figured its because of her large belly full of babies. I was concerned maybe nitrate were high and causing stress so I did a 40% water change last night as I read nitrate can cause fish bladder disease. Thinking that would help with what appeared to be fish bladder disease. I wake up this morning and the female was dead. It looked like her eyes popped out of her head. I just tested my water and all parameters are at 0 and ph at 7.4. Now all the other fish are all collected in the one corner and not eating. This is my first time with a larger tank as I always had 10 gallon tanks and they are so much more hassle to maintain. I would just love any input as to what I may be doing wrong. My 4 year old loves these fish and gives them all names. I don't want to loose anymore. They are family

Have you kept guppies before in the smaller tank with any issues. I can't keep Guppies from my two LFS in my town alive. I have since discovered they are both supplied by the same breeder. These are the only fish I have trouble with. In my case i'm convinced the issue is from too much inbreeding. I have had the same symptoms with my guppies.
You say all your results are 0. It's very unusual to have 0 Nitrates. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips??

I'm using the master test kit. These are petco fish so it's very likely they are inbreed. I had 2 guppies in the 10 gallon for about 6 months before moving them to the bigger tank. That's one of the fish that died. I have noticed the males being a bit aggressive towards the females. And they currently out number the females. Is it possible they nipped her to death? Would adding more females help with the aggression?

I think that might be your problem there. You need a ratio of 3f/1m, otherwise they will literally bully the females to death in their pursuit to breed.....

I had 4 fish die today after doing another water change so I definitely got something else going on. I'm thinking it may be a heavy metal issue so I'm going tomorrow to get something to neutralize the copper and other heavy metals in the water. I have a water conditioner that eliminates chlorine but not the others stuff in the water. Ammonia is still saying zero.

I had 4 fish die today after doing another water change so I definitely got something else going on. I'm thinking it may be a heavy metal issue so I'm going tomorrow to get something to neutralize the copper and other heavy metals in the water. I have a water conditioner that eliminates chlorine but not the others stuff in the water. Ammonia is still saying zero.

Wow, that's a problem. Is there any pattern eg just after a water change (maybe a temperature or ph difference?). Is there anything different between smaller and larger tanks - assuming your tap water has been used for awhile?

Quote from Seachem Prime label....."It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in tap water at typical concentration levels".

Back
Top Bottom