Guppy very sick.. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janice_016

Aquarium Advice Regular
What should I do with a very sick, breathing heavy, on its side, been like this for 3 days now. She's pregnant, may have given birth to a couple fry.. But now internally bleeding maybe? Treated with melafix. Not helping, she's too far gone. I don't have Clove oil.. Any suggestions. Is it best to just let her die naturally? seems suffering.

Thank you

You need to have clove oil on hand, for this kind of thing. Even if you have to get the drug store to order it for you.

You can euthanize by swiftly cutting off the head. Sharp knife, chop quick. Believe me, I understand that that's a bit gross, but it's better than allowing her to slowly die.

Unless you see blood, I doubt it's internal bleeding, it's more likely some infection or other. If she is the only fish affected, I would remove her quickly so whatever it is won't spread to other fish.

Melafix is not going to help with this sort of thing. Tea tree oil can be good for some things, but it can't cure an internal infection, if that is what she has. She might, maybe, also have a swim bladder problem if she can't swim, also not going to be helped with Melafix.

Thanks for the reply. I did buy clove oil and gave her a good dose. She went to sleep quickly. Made sure to give her enough to not wake up.. And also kept her in it in a baggy.. RIP lil guppy. Thanks again for replying.

Sorry for the loss. But it happens. Guppies among many other fish are very inbred nowadays, which can mean unexplained losses, which I often think are due to genetic defects we just can't see.

Sorry for your loss, guppies can be a very hardy fish, but the most common cause of death is inbreeding, again sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom