Guppy was on floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Freaked out couldn't find a male guppy whe switching to diff tank ... Found it after I thought I miscounted ... He was on floor maybe 10 min at most still alive and is back in tank I'm scared he may die ... He is swimming fine like nothin happend

I had one that had been out long enough to barely still be tacky. I nearly vacuumed him up, but when he seemed to stick to the floor, I went in for a closer look. When I realized it was a fish, I freaked and threw him straight back into the tank! He couldn't swim to begin with, because his fins were stuck down and he had cat hair stuck to him. When I checked on him the next morning, he was a picture of health, and back to pestering the females. Yours should recover just fine :)

Ok thanks... On other hand I just got two new apple snails so I have 3 diff colors hoping to breed... I saw my biggest one I had for a few months on one

Ok thanks... On other hand I just got two new apple snails so I have 3 diff colors hoping to breed... I saw my biggest one I had for a few months on one

I got some apple/mystery snails recently. I found one of then on the floor under the tank stand last night. I know they lay their eggs out of water, but I don't think they went walkabout.

Lol I already a read they will escape tank and can live a week out of water and that need 3 inch at least of no water above tank to lay eggs and I know mine will breed now cuz I see ivory on top of the black then the blue lol.. You need a lid ... I think mine are apple or mystery snail

Maybe use a reptile lid big enough they won't escape plus it's got holes . Maybe so extra layer spray paint to prevent rust... Maybe check your water a increase oxygen so they don't have reason to leave completely but that's no 100% solution

I got 20 or 30 of them in a bag at auction, and dispersed them amongst my 6 tanks. He's the only one I've had go exploring so far. They are large enough that they are easily visible if they go walkies.

Mystery snails need some bare glass or a closed hood to lay on. If they go looking for a spawning spot and one is not closely available, they keep looking. That's when they might fall off the glass.. they try to crawl to the outside and can't hold on. They sure can't live a week out of water. A few hours at best, and I've had them die after a very short time. Even though they breathe air, they have to open their door to do it, and the body dries out too fast. So they either die by dehyration or by suffocation. Poor things.

If you want eggs, provide a place for them to lay eggs. Bare glass, 2 or 3 inches at the top, or add a glass piece that they can get to, that sticks up that high above water. Or tile or slate, even wood.. somewhere they can reach that's dry and above water, where they won't be at risk of falling off.

Back
Top Bottom