Guppy's Belly is Ballooning (Not Pregnant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a guppy which I'm quite positive is male. It's belly is ballooning up quite severely and getting worse. Initially, I thought he was just constipated and eventually it would work itself out. Well, today it is looking really bad. Any suggestions to save him if it isn't already too late?

Hello,

Have you assumed that it is swim bladder diesese?

I haven't assumed anything. But (correct me if I'm wrong!) doesn't swim bladder disease affect the fish's ability to stay at one level in the tank? He seems to be able to swim where he wants to and I've seen him at all levels of the tank recently.

Somebody please respond to this thread with a diagnosis and treatment.

As of this morning, he was still hanging in there but the swelling is getting absurd. I've heard something about peas and constipation - what's the deal with that (i.e. do you cook the peas, and how do you serve them)?

Of course, that's only for constipation. What else could it be? I'd really appreciate some input here!

Try not feeding the fish for 2 - 3 days. Fish can survive quite a while without food. This happens to my guppies after they eat, but it usually goes down after a day or so. I usually feed my fish once a day so this works pretty well.

As for the peas, i've heard about it but you need to take off the shell and cut the rest of it into tiny pieces for the fish to eat.

I've only fed the tank once or twice (can't remember exactly) in the last week. That was when I first noticed a bulge, but it has gotten worse. The rest of the tank is thin and fit. There are even other guppies in there which appear to be perfectly healthy.

When you say take off the shell of the pea, do you mean the pea pod, or the actual casing of the individual pea (the ball itself)?

I've never used peas (never needed to), but i'm pretty sure its the outer pod. the ball inside you need to cut up and feed it to the fish.

Should I cook the peas? To mush, or just less-than-raw? Do I peel the skin off each individual ball (pea)?

Any other advice, people?

Ok, well I tried the peas for two days in a row. I don't think it's doing anything. I'm now pretty sure that he's got dropsy. Poor guy! :'(

Back
Top Bottom