Half My Fish Died Overnight. Why/Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night/this morning(around 11:30 pm) I did a water chnage. I just woke up and 2 of my angels are dead and so is one of my goldfish. For some reason the tank is at like 86F degrees(I didn't touch the heater) when its normally about 81F. it aslo super cloudy. I took ff the filter becasue it was a disgusting mess, so its been without a filter for maybe 12 hours. Is that the problem?

Hey sorry. What was the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and what size is the tank? Did you have an air pump. Sorry to ask all these questions but it will help us to help you.

Edit: what brand heater do you have also? With your filter off you probally had the temp rise due to the loss of water flow . As the water goes back into the tank you have a heat loss due to the waterfall effect.
Also what is the type filter that broke?

I don't have my water test kit, I let my therapist borrow it. I'll call him and see fi i can get it back today. The tank is 37gal. it had 4 cory cats, a musk turtle, 3 angelfish, and 2 goldfish.

The_Desacrator said:
I don't have my water test kit, I let my therapist borrow it. I'll call him and see fi i can get it back today. The tank is 37gal. it had 4 cory cats, a musk turtle, 3 angelfish, and 2 goldfish.

See the edit in my previous post please and we will help. Please do PWCs and get the remaining fish to another tank ASAP

I immediatly put the survivors in a new tank. The filter was a topfin 40gal filter. it came with the tank. it didnt really break, but the filter cartridge was dirty beyond saving. It was like a solid mass of fish poo. The heater is a Aqueon Submerisble Aquarium heater.

Sounds like your aquarium overheated because of a bad heater. (water flow or not, a heater with a temp setting shouldn't reach 86 when set to 81)

It also sounds like because you took your filter out that you may have started a minicycle. (Cloudiness is often cause by bacteria)

One important thing to note, is the higher temperature means the water will hold less oxygen, and with the filter not moving water you may have experianced a DO crash. (Disolved Oxygen) It could be because of those two things your fish asphyxiated.

In hind sight, you should have pretended you were on fear factor or something, and rinse the filter in some of the tank water you took out from the PWC. It's just fish poo, not gonna kill you. Rinse it really well until it's somewhat clean, use fresh tank water when it's too dirty, then replace it when you're done. It's messy and unpleasant, but your fish will thank you.

Hope that helps.

but the filter cartridge was dirty beyond saving. It was like a solid mass of fish poo. The heater is a Aqueon Submerisble Aquarium heater.
This should never be the case. If your filter gets that dirt between water changes, you're either massively overfeeding, overstocked, or underfiltered.

mfdrookie516 said:
This should never be the case. If your filter gets that dirt between water changes, you're either massively overfeeding, overstocked, or underfiltered.

I agree. Hope this helps, keep us informed. We are all here to help

I am not afraid of fish poo. Its the stock filter that came with the tank, and I must of forgotten to clean the cartridge thew past few weeks.

The survivors are in a 10 gal. I got a new filter and heater and I will move the fish back to the big tank once the temperature lowers and the water is clean

The_Desacrator said:

I think u are overstocked. 20 goldfish along needs 30 gallons! So with the lack of filter, airstone and an increase in water temp. The oxygen level was probably too low. And goldfish should be kept in temp in the low 70s. Sorry for ur lost :(

I would definitely invest in a new filter. You had alot of fish plus the turtle and alot of poo going on in there. You should get a filter that is rated atleast double the tank size IMO. And with the water that warm, I agree that the lack of surface agitation and gas exchange probably killed the fish. The temp rising to 86 alone wouldn't have killed them.

You have an interesting mix there as well. The Goldfish would prefer cooler temperatures. Not sure about the turtle.

I got two new filters. The goldfish are pretty happy imo. They are really active and swim everywhere, where as in the old tank they just sat there.

The_Desacrator said:
I got two new filters. The goldfish are pretty happy imo. They are really active and swim everywhere, where as in the old tank they just sat there.

Great! Keep in touch !

The_Desacrator said:
The new filter is set, and I am waiting for the water to heat up so I can move the fish back.

What filter did you get?

Marineland Power Filter 200. I also have a Marineland Power Filter 150 that will be going with the 200 once I give my 10gallon away and I start the 60gal I have.I am gonna use the 150 as a seeder, then move it to the 37gal once the 60gal is established.

I also moved all the fish back to their tank.

The_Desacrator said:
Marineland Power Filter 200. I also have a Marineland Power Filter 150 that will be going with the 200 once I give my 10gallon away and I start the 60gal I have.I am gonna use the 150 as a seeder, then move it to the 37gal once the 60gal is established.

I also moved all the fish back to their tank.

Have you been keeping fish long? If not do you know about cycling with fish?

Cool just wondering. Good luck and glad you're back on track

I think u are overstocked. 20 goldfish along needs 30 gallons! So with the lack of filter, airstone and an increase in water temp. The oxygen level was probably too low. And goldfish should be kept in temp in the low 70s. Sorry for ur lost :(

2 not 20 ?

Back
Top Bottom