Half white; pointed down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coreno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Water parameters (tested with API Test Kit):

pH - 7.9
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40-80ppm
--
KH - 240
GH - 180
(i.e. very hard water)

Edit:
This is a 40 gallon tank, established over 1 year ago. In addition to the below sick fish I have 2 mollies, 5 barbs, 1 zebra danio, 1 rainbow fish, 2 blackwidow tetras, 1 catfish, 1 african butterfly.

I have two filters:
1 overhang Marineland 90gpm
1 canister penn-plax 65gpm

Fish Symptoms
IMG_20150203_193902594.jpg

IMG_20150203_195001313.jpg

As you can see, I have 2 fish; Black, blue-eyed, Emperor Tetras. I got them exactly a week ago. Before I got them I noticed in the store all the Tetras in the tank were pointing slightly down, but thought that was a quirk of the fish, because they otherwise appeared healthy.

Since then, they were a bit shy, but seemed ok. Over the weekend, I had added live plants, and did a water change, but did not take note of the condition of the fish.

Today, I noticed them as you see in the picture. Pointed very down, and the back half turning white, and the tail fin is tattered. The more sick one can barely swim, and mostly just bobs with the current.

What is wrong? Can I at least save the less-sick fish? Is it tetra disease? Swim bladder disease? I know the prefer lower pH water, are they dying from too-high pH?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom