Heads Up:How many are aware that Amquel can cancel Ich meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about it and wonder how many people angry at a product not seeming to work but use Amquel or forget to remove their charcoal filter?
I thought it deserves mention...!
I have been aware a couple weeks because I always eye sucessful treatments of loaches closely (forewarned is forearmed) and I am ich paranoid since the death of my Christmasfish(who actually had everything BUT ich in the end)

New bottles of Amquel have a wee blurb about canceling out ich meds but older style and larger bottles do not. And the one I bought in a 2-pk doesn't.
We Use Amquel and Novaqua because it is popular with Betta breeders.
I happen to use Kent Detox when I am not cheaping out.

8O
Hmmmmm, I will look into what I had been using on my Badis and see if there might be an interaction. Charcoal is definitely gone.

Ack! That's good to know.

Do you know what about the Amquel causes the interaction, or does it have to be recently added? I'm wondering if I should do a large water change and use a different water conditioner if I need to treat for ich...

On my 16oz bottle label (which btw is the ONLY bottle I have with this much info):

AmQuel reduces or removes medication dyes such as malachite green, methylene blue and potasium permanganate and can be used to terminate treatments and help tp clarify the dyed water

Amquel is compatible with ammonia test kits using Salicylate reagents such as Kordon's. Do not use a kit based on Nessler's reagents.

I know it cancels RidIch. As well as others.

Becauase it is a patented formula I can only venture why it affects the meds.
I think it is safe to bet that any product that claims to do more than simply de-chlorinate (ie;detox-nitrates-dangerous metals)will probably effect meds.

I have the 8 oz. bottle of Amquel. Mine says the same thing about removing the medication dyes, but it doesn't say anything about terminating the treatments.

I have the "original" Amquel. I did notice that there is now a product called Amquel Plus. Which one do you have, Christmasfish? I'm wondering if they changed something with this new product.

I have both Amquel and Amquel plus
My Amquel plus is a smaller bottle with less room for label and mentions the dyes.
My new Amquel barely says anything
The big bottle is original amquel
My medium bottle is older label with the fish in a lifesaver and has scads of info too.

AP Stress coat also claims to detoxify heavy metals..all those dye treatments are
New an old has the same patent number so I doubt there is any change but the package.
metal based.Plus may have already included addition of the coating agent like Novaqua or PolyAqua. We ran out so I can't see it's label after all.

I think there might be an actual problem here. Now that I look at all my instant water agers...they almost all have claims against metals. :?

I had noticed this information on amquel before, I like the idea of being better able to quickly clean up after treatments in my QT or display tanks. I try to use such products sparingly in the first place but keep them on hand for emergencies. Water change, carbon, amquel and a quick filter cartridge on the powerhead spells crystal clear tank in a couple of hours....

I have a bottle of Amquel+ on hand, but really prefer to do water changes to keep ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down, and for me Amquel's just too expensive to use for dechlor. The longer I'm in the hobby, the more I see the benefit to "fish-less" cycling and stepping up the frequency of water changes when you have to deal with spikes in ammonia, nitrites and/nitrates. Other than the dechlor, I'm trying not to use chemicals in my tanks.

FYI - some of the aquatic antibiotics are only affected by carbon that is less than six days old. Read the labels carefully, as there may not be a need to remove the carbon from your filter.

Back
Top Bottom