Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello, 3 questions about my platy?

Water condition=good

Is my male platy too fat? I feed him 2 times a day w/ flakes for a week now, planning to feed him freeze-droed bloodworms tommorow for 2 meals every tuesday&saturday.

He's been having stringy long thin poop, does this mean i dont feed him enough? Do i have to feed him more than? He does dash to the front of the tank whenever he sees me and starts begging for food.

My platy is in his 10g 1/4 planted (still trying to grow java fern) tank. He is alone,, he's not that active anymore since he's been in my tank for a week, and before that, he's been very active, now he's still active, but not very fast moving anymore, is that okay? I mean i dont see any diseases happening.

And last thing, is it okay if i feed him betta pellets instead of freeze-dried bloodworm? cuz i had a betta b4 and he died.
Betta Food - 0.95 oz. 010216

To summurize, questions are:
-Is my platy too fat or skinny?
-Is pooping long thin strings of poop noormal or fine?
-Is something wrong with my platy by him not being active as usual, meaning is he lonely or bored, or both?
-are the betta pellets good for him?

Thank you!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the fish does look a bit on the bigger side. But I wouldn't worry about that for now... What color is the "thin stringy" poop? If it's dark, the fish may certainly be constipated. Blanch peas help for this problem... If it's white, the fish may have a parasite and you may need some medication for him.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh i see, but will tinned peas from cans be fine? (i will boil it) and will i have to feed him until his poop turns back to normal?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, what color is the poop? lol. But yes, boiled peas will help with digestion. Just make sure you peal the outer shell off before feeding it to your platy.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholi View Post
Oh i see, but will tinned peas from cans be fine? (i will boil it) and will i have to feed him until his poop turns back to normal?
Most canned peas have been salted. Fish don't need to eat salt.
He looks a little on the chubby side, but I have had plenty of male platys who looked a little chubby. They are piggy eaters.
You said he isn't as active as he used to be, was he in a community tank before?
Honestly, at a glance he looks fine. Whenever my platys have been in distress, they pull their fins in.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think i'll have to check tommorow when i feed him, but just ONE more meal of flakes is okay right? until i see the color of his poop? Cuz i noticed the shape of the poop, not the color, sorry
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only time he was in a community tank was when he was at the pet shop with many other platie
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good. But I agree with the peas. I usually feed only frozen peas.

Tags
platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com