Hello. Newbie with possibly sick fish. Hoping for help on the forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herkfreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I joined the forum hoping to get some advice about caring for my veiltail goldfish (Norman). He has a white/see-through growth on his head (more cotton than waxy). I thought it would get better when we bought him a 20 gallon tank, but it is still spreading. Initially, he developed a blood red spot on his head that cleared up after every water change, but came back after about 3 days. He has not had the red spot since we bought the new tank, but now the white patch has grown near the same area and spread to his entire head. Please help. He is active and eats fine. No other fish live in his tank and I use well water to fill it. I do a 30% water replacement every week and his tank also has a filter. I do not know his age. We found him abandoned and hungry after a tenant moved out last April, so we adopted him. Any idea what this could be and how I can treat it? I have attached some photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We love our Norman and I would hate for him to suffer due to my inexperience as a fish owner. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC02550 (2).jpg
    DSC02550 (2).jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02540 (2).jpg
    DSC02540 (2).jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 74
Welcome to AA!!!

Great job upgrading the tank! Do you by chance have means to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Knowing your water parameters will be very helpful!

Your fish is actually an oranda or oranda cross. As he was neglected by his prior owners, it's a bit difficult to ascertain what his true body condition should be so it makes it more difficult to be 100% positive on an ID. I am about 98% sure he is an oranda though.

Orandas are wen goldfish and develop a bubbly head growth as they age. Your fish's wen is not very well developed likely due to neglect and poor nutrition. The white area appears to be nothing more than his natural coloring (wens can be different colors and change colors). What is his present diet (brand/type foods, other foods, etc)?

Let's start with your water and address any possible dietary concerns to make sure he is as happy and healthy as possible! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You've definitely come to the right place. I'm not a goldfish person but jlk will have you covered 100%. As she said, if you've got a way to test the water and get that info back here, it will help tremendously in aiding you help your little guy. Although the liquid kit is a few bucks more, it's by far more accurate than the test strips. It's possible your LFS will test the water for you (probably with strips) while your standing there picking out a liquid type kit. Good luck with your buddy !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses.

I took some of Norman's water to Petsmart to be tested. They tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hard water, and the Ph. They said everything looks normal and the if he has any problems, it is not related to the water quality. As to his diet, he eats Tetra goldfish flakes. I tried to introduce dried shrimp, Tetra pellets, and Omega One super veggie seaweed into his diet, but all he will eat are the flakes. Hope the additional info makes it easier to figure out what's going on with him. Thanks again for all of your help.

I know almost nothing about goldfish care, other than gallon requirements and such, but, I am so glad that Norman has you! He'll flourish in your care :D

I took some of Norman's water to Petsmart to be tested. They tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hard water, and the Ph. They said everything looks normal and the if he has any problems, it is not related to the water quality. As to his diet, he eats Tetra goldfish flakes. I tried to introduce dried shrimp, Tetra pellets, and Omega One super veggie seaweed into his diet, but all he will eat are the flakes. Hope the additional info makes it easier to figure out what's going on with him. Thanks again for all of your help.

It's helpful to a degree. When asking for water parameters we are generally looking for more of a number measurement. Chances are that your location just used what are known as "test strips". Generally these aren't very accurate but will suffice for now. The fact that they said normal AND you didn't buy anything to change it is even better. Another thing you'll learn here is that most who give feedback are not too happy with advice from an LFS. Also, IMO 90% of all illnesses in fish are directly related to water conditions. There is that slight amount that is not. As far as the food goes, it will take some time for him to come around to change. Be patient and things will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom