Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help ! 15 fish have died within 4 days !!!

Symptoms: fish color has darkened; erosion on fins, mouth and head; skin looks like it is being shed; cloudy eyes (speckled); small worms (2mm) in tank; mites on water surface; fish flicking and rubbing against objects; rapid gill movement.

What I've done: ensured there's enough oxygen; added anti fungus finrot, aquarium first aid plus; increased the temp to 81F.

Any advice is very welcome.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

what are your water parameters at the moment. ammonia, PH, Nitrates, Nitrites

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"
Edgar Bergen (1903 - 1978)
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

[center:23828bf928] Welcome to AA, ScottishFish! [/center:23828bf928]
How long have the mites and worms been there? To save your fish, you need to get rid of the unwanted guests. How often do you do water changes? do you vacuum the gravel when you change the water? How large is the tank? How many/what kinds of fish are you keeping?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Keeper may well be on the right track here. I suspect the 'worms' and 'mites' may simply be symptoms of the same thing that's causing the problems with your fish...poor water quality. If you have the appropriate test kits available, please test for the parameters that Keeper recommended and let us know what they are.

If you don't have any test kits then I might suggest you do a 25% water change (making sure, of course, that the water you add is at the right temperature) and cut back on feeding for a few days. The symptoms your fish are exhibiting MAY be the result of excessively high levels of nitrites or ammonia. There are some diseases that can cause similar symptoms but I suggest we rule out water quality issues first.

You didn't mention what kinds of fish you have and what kinds of fish have died. This is also important in trying to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, I'll follow up on this. I'll purchase a testing kit to ensure environment is healthy. The fish that died are: 3 scissor tails, 2 angel fish, 1 silver shark, 3 purple chilids, 1 ram chilid, 2 black widows, 1 swordtail, 1 flying fox, 1 sucking loach; recently 1 angel fish, 1 red tail shark.
Still alive, but poorly, are: 1 scissor tail, 2 silver dollars, 2 silver sharks, 2 sword tails, 4 gouramis, 1 blind cave fish, 1 plec.
Tank size 48 x 12 x 18 (inches); temp between 75 and 79. Complete cleanout and water change monthly.
Thanksagain.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Complete cleanout and water change monthly.
That's not necessary. In a healthy tank, a 15-25% water change with gravel vacuuming is all you need.

Post your water parameters when you get the tests and we can help from there.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water change monthly is too risky especially for new tanks. I suggest 10% each week or so.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to dhs9831 Send a message via Yahoo to dhs9831
Right, never do complete water change monthly in a healthy tank. Although in a very unhealthy one, at times that is whats needed, but never do that regularly. How long have you had the fish btw? Did you introduce any new fish recently?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:47 PM   #9

you must by a book on FISH CARE!!! NOW!!!!!!!!
give ur fish to someone who knows how to take care of fish. dont get fish again til you have red that book cover to cover!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

mollywolly, that is harsh advice. ScottishFish came here asking for advice on how to improve the situation for his fish.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:59 PM   #11

im not try'in to be mean. these things don't happen overnight!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #12

im not trying to be mean but something that severe wouldnt happen that easily. The fish would have to be severely neglected.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
these things don't happen overnight!
No, and hindsight is always 20/20 You will find that many people get here due to trouble in their tank that could be avoided. We give advice on how to fix it

Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think mollywolly is right. Scottishfish's tank wouldnt crash like that if he tested it weekly, had the proper number of fish, vaccumed the gravel, changed the water, PAID ATTENTION TO HIS FISH'S HABITS, and etc.

SCOTTISHFISH-please buy a book and LEARN something
----29 gal with Emperor 280- 2 longfin zebra danios, 3 cories(albino-Speedy, 2 unknown), upside down catfish, 3 neons, 4 glow lights, blue gourami, Female betta, male betta (Otis), small pearl gourami, 2 flying foxes

----20 gal with Penguin 170 Filter- 2 angels

----10 gal-Leaf fish, clawed frog

----5 gal eclipse hex-betta, 2 young mollies

----5 gal-Fantail Betta

----2.5 gal Betta

----3 other Bettas
cheezysquirrelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

So many people see a cute little animal and buy it without any research first. Thats why problems like these occur.
----29 gal with Emperor 280- 2 longfin zebra danios, 3 cories(albino-Speedy, 2 unknown), upside down catfish, 3 neons, 4 glow lights, blue gourami, Female betta, male betta (Otis), small pearl gourami, 2 flying foxes

----5 gal-Fantail Betta

----2.5 gal Betta

----3 other Bettas
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish are one of the hardest (and most expensive) things to care for.

----5 gal-Fantail Betta

----2.5 gal Betta

----3 other Bettas
Old 07-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tat why AA are here for
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Regardless what happen to your fish (dead/sick/etc) just continue to partial change (20-30%) your tank water every few day till the situation improve.

After everything when alright then do partial water change at weekly basis.

Everything will be fine
Old 07-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Hey, everyone has the right answers here and I feel you man when you look forward to having some pets and you wonder what go wrong: Here is what I suggest to everyone who gets in the hobby:

1) Know as much as you can about the nitrogen cycle, since this can be what makes almost 70% of people quit the hobby for not knowing.
2) Read as much as you can about the diet, behavior and compatability of the fish you are considering.
3) NO MATTER WHAT, Make sure that you know your water parameters PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Oxygen levels.
4) Read at least one good book on the type of aquarium you are considering in taken care of.

I know that if these steps are taken serious, then you will be the 30% of Hobbyists that love and will enjoy the hobby for years to come.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

If someone came here for help, and got attacked, they may very well not come back, which won't help their fish. I didn't read a book, I relied on forums like this. Books don't always make sense.
This person may have made some mistakes, but he came here for help, which is the right step. I made mistakes, too, when I started, but thankfully got the help I needed and everything turned out right, without me getting attacked or blasted in the process. Notice how the author of this thread has gotten kinda quiet? I don't blame him.

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com