HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffd902

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal tank with Tetras and 3 corys. I bought live plants a month ago, and got infected with tiny snails. I have been fishing them out as I find them, and have tried a product called "Had a snail" i picked up from PetSmart, both to small effect. Does anyone know how to rid my tank of these pesky buggers? I'm about at wits end!!!

Clown loaches will eat snails, but they also dig, so they may uproot your plants...but it might be worth a shot.

they are there because the food source is good. if they are anything like the saltwater snails i HAD in my mini reef, at night with the light off they should go on the glass tank walls. do a water change with a hose and while siphoneing the water run the hose right over them and suck them out. they liked my powerfliters calm spot so when there was alot of them in there i would take it out and clean it in the sink. they were all gone in no time. 8)

The siphon idea is a good one. I also like to weigh down a coule slices of cucumber or zuchinni, the turn off the lights for an hour or so. turn lights back on, the veggies are covered with snails, remove veggies and snails at the same time, population reduced. 1 slice is usually worth 20 or so snails. This will not rid your tank, just keep the population down. Personally, with my planted tank I like have some snails, they eat a certain amount of algae. More importantly,they eat fish waste and break it down during digestion into nutrients the plants can use. Kinda gross, but true.

Thanks. That cucumber idea sounds the best. I know snails are good to a point, but I also know that they can overrun a tank in no time, and the cucumber has got to be better than that "Had A Snail" stuff im putting in. My Brother suggested freshwater aquarium salt. I know that salt can help both the fish and the plants, but can it help controll the snails?

. I know that salt can help both the fish and the plants, but can it help controll the snails?

NOOOOOO!!!!

If you have live plants, NO SALT!!!

Sorry to be so emphatic, but almost all freswater plants can NOT tolerate ANY salt in the tank!!

Hope i got this to you before you put any salt in.

IMO, just control the snail population, don't try to kill them all.

If you have live plants, NO SALT!!!

Where were you last week!? 8O

So far I've added four tbsp to a 55 g tank. Hopefully that won't be too much for the plants to handle. Where did you find this info out? I've been reading a lot about planted tanks and haven't read anything saying no salt?

Back
Top Bottom