HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
I apologize for the big help sign- I just need answers. Now. I was on another fish site, worried about my Betta's brown spots, but they're part of his patterns. One of the members noticed his tail and said he had some serious fin rot. Well, after being hysterical since last night, getting a QT tank ASAP from my friend and stressing Pigg out so much that now he's gasping for breath (I tried catching for an HOUR without success, but now he's in the QT tank) I am at my wit's end. I'm getting him Aquarium Salt tomorrow, as all of the stores are closed today. I have no levels of anything from recently, I'm picking up a new testing kit tomorrow, as my mother threw out my old one by mistake.

What can I do to help him right now, even with no medication?

I will be doing frequent water changes with his QT- how often should I do them and at what amount?

What can I do to calm him down?

What can I do to ensure done of my Otos get the fin rot?

Are there any other medications I can pick up tomorrow for help with this?

How can I tell when the fin rot is gone?

How can I tell that he is improving?

Please answer ASAP, I'm really scared for him!

(Pictures taken yesterday, tried to get a good view of his tail)

img_2260306_0_95f3bb57eba09a28bc270e4a4299695c.jpg

I apologize for the big help sign- I just need answers. Now. I was on another fish site, worried about my Betta's brown spots, but they're part of his patterns. One of the members noticed his tail and said he had some serious fin rot. Well, after being hysterical since last night, getting a QT tank ASAP from my friend and stressing Pigg out so much that now he's gasping for breath (I tried catching for an HOUR without success, but now he's in the QT tank) I am at my wit's end. I'm getting him Aquarium Salt tomorrow, as all of the stores are closed today. I have no levels of anything from recently, I'm picking up a new testing kit tomorrow, as my mother threw out my old one by mistake.

I will be doing frequent water changes with his QT- how often should I do them and at what amount?

First of all do you have any other betas or fish in that tank... If you do you want to transfer the beta to a nursery tank or somewhere else to keep the infection from spreading... And another thing don't get to worked up about this since you found that info on the Internet it may not be true do some further research

I have him in a 5g QT by himself, my other fish are in my 10g. I have been researching all night and I am almost 100% sure it is fin rot. The dark patches on his tail (the bluish gray ones) were white last month and his tail was once ripped by the filter, but it didn't look like that until recently. It also wasn't very frayed or wrinkly looking until recently as wll.

Another thing is you really shouldn't do water changes in his qt tank because it could get him stressed more... To calm him down you can spoil him with nice beta treats and decorations and things... Like I said transfer your beta out of the tank of Otos and do a water change and maybe put some fin rot medicine in the tank of Otos just to make sure they don't get it.... The only medication you really need is fin rot medicine... A question do you have stabilizing liquid for your tank?? I put hat in my tank once a month and it conditions the water and calms the fish if there is a high spike of ph or something...you can tell when the fin rot is gone when the fish isn't grasping for air and the spots are gone and the fish is back to its normal swimming actions... You can tell if he is improving by when he gets a little more active and when his routines are what they used to be.... Ad I understand what you are going through... I get really scared when my fish get sick and when they get bad I nearly cry... I'm such a baby.. But I love my fish! I hope this helped you!!!!

ok fist of all take a deep breath its good the you got him to the QT tank also i would proubly do a water change 50% what can it hurt. tomorrow get an Api test kit and make sure all your water perameters are good then treat the fin rot. and watch the other fish for sign of fin rot.

It will be ok :)

I have him in a 5g QT by himself, my other fish are in my 10g. I have been researching all night and I am almost 100% sure it is fin rot. The dark patches on his tail (the bluish gray ones) were white last month and his tail was once ripped by the filter, but it didn't look like that until recently. It also wasn't very frayed or wrinkly looking until recently as wll.

You are probably right that he does for sure have fin rot and my fish had fin rot and its tail was terrible and I had to euthanize it but I didn't get any medicine... I don't mean to scare you by that... Your beta will most likely be fine ?

Another thing is you really shouldn't do water changes in his qt tank because it could get him stressed more... To calm him down you can spoil him with nice beta treats and decorations and things... Like I said transfer your beta out of the tank of Otos and do a water change and maybe put some fin rot medicine in the tank of Otos just to make sure they don't get it.... The only medication you really need is fin rot medicine... A question do you have stabilizing liquid for your tank?? I put hat in my tank once a month and it conditions the water and calms the fish if there is a high spike of ph or something...you can tell when the fin rot is gone when the fish isn't grasping for air and the spots are gone and the fish is back to its normal swimming actions... You can tell if he is improving by when he gets a little more active and when his routines are what they used to be.... Ad I understand what you are going through... I get really scared when my fish get sick and when they get bad I nearly cry... I'm such a baby.. But I love my fish! I hope this helped you!!!!

I removed him from the tank with the Otos at 11:30am. He has been in his QT since I posted this, as said in my description. I cannot add Aquarium Salt to my 10g, as there is a Mystery Snail in it, but I will ask for Fin Rot Medication at the pet store and add that to the 10g if need be. All Otos look fine, though. I use dechlorinator on my tanks, both of them- that's all I've ever used. And Pigg has been acting completely the same, just a slight bit more sluggish. The spots are supposed to be there, they are just his scale colours.

ok fist of all take a deep breath its good the you got him to the QT tank also i would proubly do a water change 50% what can it hurt. tomorrow get an Api test kit and make sure all your water perameters are good then treat the fin rot. and watch the other fish for sign of fin rot.

It will be ok :)

Deep breathing has been going on since last night aha. My parents aren't helping with that at all, they're suggesting just getting a new fish -_- I just got the QT set up today and just did a 40% water change on my 10g, but I'll do a 50% tomorrow. Will do! Thank you for replying.

You are probably right that he does for sure have fin rot and my fish had fin rot and its tail was terrible and I had to euthanize it but I didn't get any medicine... I don't mean to scare you by that... Your beta will most likely be fine ?

That's terrible, I hope if it happens again your fish will be fine!

I removed him from the tank with the Otos at 11:30am. He has been in his QT since I posted this, as said in my description. I cannot add Aquarium Salt to my 10g, as there is a Mystery Snail in it, but I will ask for Fin Rot Medication at the pet store and add that to the 10g if need be. All Otos look fine, though. I use dechlorinator on my tanks, both of them- that's all I've ever used. And Pigg has been acting completely the same, just a slight bit more sluggish. The spots are supposed to be there, they are just his scale colours.

You are doing great with this and if I didn't tell you that you should get stabilizing medicine and do a water change in that 10 gal with those Otos that will ensure your water is fine and your fish will be okay ....

That's terrible, I hope if it happens again your fish will be fine!

Thanks for the support! I recently lost 3 fish randomly I don't know why all my readings were fine and another thing if you are going to pets art they give you a free advanced test if you bring a sample of your water there!

Send me a message updating on your fish when it gets better ( or worse) or whatever happens!!!!

You are doing great with this and if I didn't tell you that you should get stabilizing medicine and do a water change in that 10 gal with those Otos that will ensure your water is fine and your fish will be okay ....

Thank you, I appreciate that... I'll make a list right now of what I need to get, and I just finished a 40% water change on the Oto/Mystery Snail tank.

Send me a message updating on your fish when it gets better ( or worse) or whatever happens!!!!

Will do! Right now he's being a grump in the QT, just sitting in his Betta Log. He loves that thing, sleeps in it every night. He's used to be the king of his domain, lots of plants, lots of space, lots of places to hide with a filter and a heater and lights. Now all he has is an unlit poorly heated 5g with one plant and a Betta Log :( Question: Is it a good idea to put an air-pump type thing in the QT to use as a filter, or is it just best for the water to be stagnant?

Will do! Right now he's being a grump in the QT, just sitting in his Betta Log. He loves that thing, sleeps in it every night. He's used to be the king of his domain, lots of plants, lots of space, lots of places to hide with a filter and a heater and lights. Now all he has is an unlit poorly heated 5g with one plant and a Betta Log :( Question: Is it a good idea to put an air-pump type thing in the QT to use as a filter, or is it just best for the water to be stagnant?

How big is your QT tank it depends how big it is cause some are to small for the bubbler and that is what you are talking about the bubbler right? If it is the right size tank for it you can test it out and put it in the tank and see if your beta likes it some fish don't like the strong noise and things...

How big is your QT tank it depends how big it is cause some are to small for the bubbler and that is what you are talking about the bubbler right? If it is the right size tank for it you can test it out and put it in the tank and see if your beta likes it some fish don't like the strong noise and things...

The QT is a 5g and the bubbler has a little nozzle thing on the end from when I put it into something in my 10g that cause too much disruption, so I took it out and kept that thing on... That may slow it down a little. But it filtered water good for fin rot? I heard somewhere that the stagnant water helps to keep it from expanding.

The QT is a 5g and the bubbler has a little nozzle thing on the end from when I put it into something in my 10g that cause too much disruption, so I took it out and kept that thing on... That may slow it down a little. But it filtered water good for fin rot? I heard somewhere that the stagnant water helps to keep it from expanding.

The nozzle at the end is a bubbler stone right? If you don't have one of those they are usually two for a dollar at pets stores
If you don't have any fish in that tank then it wouldn't be a problem from it expanding cuz there is no other fish... I don't know if it would help or not but I don't think it would hurt anything it depends if your beta likes it or not... Btw what is the name of your beta just out of curiosity....

Btw what is the name of your beta just out of curiosity....

His name is Pigg-Fwamma but I just call him Pigg. My Otos are Penny, Cabbage and Simon and my Mystery Snail is Estabon. Though I think he may be a she and I'll rename him/her to Endera if so.

His name is Pigg-Fwamma but I just call him Pigg. My Otos are Penny, Cabbage and Simon and my Mystery Snail is Estabon. Though I think he may be a she and I'll rename him/her to Endera if so.

Those r some cool names! I am sad my rasbora is hiding behind the filter and won't come out because my stupid red minor tetras nip at him all day I'm taking those stupid little things back!!!!!

Those r some cool names! I am sad my rasbora is hiding behind the filter and won't come out because my stupid red minor tetras nip at him all day I'm taking those stupid little things back!!!!!

Thank you, I like them as well. In the summer I had some glow light tetras with Pigg in his 10g. He ate them. All of them. So I'm too worried about the Otos bothering him very much :p

Back
Top Bottom