Help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astronomicallee123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this ammonia burn on my flame gourami, he doesn't look very good at all. I moved him to a different tank

Attachments

• image-2113261293.jpg
    image-2113261293.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 55
What are your water parameters like in the main tank and the current tank he's in?

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Size of tank too.

That's my issue. I just ordered my API kit from kensfish yesterday so I really don't know. I moved him into a tank that's had had fish in with no deaths for two months. The other one has only been about a month or less. Does it look like ammonia burn? It does too me

Honestly, he's look pretty normal. Ammonia burn= inflamed gills and fins. If you are concerned, perform daily 50% water changes until the test kit arrives in the ammonia tank.

If I would of taken a picture a week or two ago you would see the difference. He's just not the same! I started doing the WC's Saturday though, I will post the results of the kit when it arrives!

Sounds good, Astro. BTW, if you really suspect that his gills are damaged and he's having a tough time breathing, you can put him in a quarantine tank with a methylene blue bath. You will need to do 50% AM 50% PM water changes in the QT since meth blue kills nitrifying bacteria.

Methylene blue increases O2 absorption so the fish breaths easier. It is also a mild bactericide and fungicide, and it even kills ich (but it's a mild treatment).

Amazon.com: Kordon/Oasis (Novalek) AKD37344 Methylene for Aquarium, 4-Ounce, Blue: Pet Supplies

no worries. It's a steep learning curve, esp, when fish get sick. Meth blue is my goto treatment since it's not a "drug" and pathogens will not become resistant to it.

Ahh yes, it does. but not glass. Your silicon will be affected. If you spray everything down with 1:4 bleach and water, including nets, tubing, etc. and let soak for 1/2 hour, the blue will fade away. Not saying it will fade completely away, but mostly. It's smart to clean QT with bleach - kills everything.

Also rinse very well, and air dry.

Back
Top Bottom