HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told i need a new kit to test for ammonia and i ordered it but it will be arriving in two days. My male gourami is starting to act sick hes hiding behind the filter and isnt active like he usually is. Is there anything i should do in the mean time to prevent health issues in my fish? Ive been adding a cap a day of Stability but should i do a water change with a gravel vaccuum? I have the water in a pot its dechlorinated and sitting out to get to room temperature?

Is this a new tank ? Is it the only fish ? When did you last do a water change ? Fish behave like this when they're stressed, and ammonia is a very common stressor, being very toxic to fish.
If in doubt, I'd do a major water change right away, it can't hurt and if the ammonia is too high it will help. Ammonia can burn the gills and make breathing difficult, if it gets too high, fish are damaged permanently, unfortunately. Always better to get the test kit first, then set up the tank.

You can use warm water from the tap to equalize temperatures, if need be, it's quicker. Add dechlorinator, mix well and do the water change as soon as you can.

Stability on it's own is not going to prevent ammonia problems. Prime does help bind ammonia to some extent, but nothing can substitute for regular water changes, especially if you are cycling a tank using fish to do it.

Is this a new tank ? Is it the only fish ? When did you last do a water change ? Fish behave like this when they're stressed, and ammonia is a very common stressor, being very toxic to fish.
If in doubt, I'd do a major water change right away, it can't hurt and if the ammonia is too high it will help. Ammonia can burn the gills and make breathing difficult, if it gets too high, fish are damaged permanently, unfortunately. Always better to get the test kit first, then set up the tank.

You can use warm water from the tap to equalize temperatures, if need be, it's quicker. Add dechlorinator, mix well and do the water change as soon as you can.

Stability on it's own is not going to prevent ammonia problems. Prime does help bind ammonia to some extent, but nothing can substitute for regular water changes, especially if you are cycling a tank using fish to do it.

Hi! Yes this is a new freshwater tropical 29 gallon tank. The male gourami is the only one who appears stressed i also have two females and 3 zebra dainos ill continue to do major water changes until my test kit arrives just to be on the safe side

Have you read up on cycling ? I assume that's what the test kits are for ? It can take awhile, but it's worth it in the end.

Yes ive read up on cycling i ordered a more accurate test kit than the one i have because mine are strips and don't even test for ammonia. I did a 50% water change and put in some ammoblock in hopes it would reduce thw stress level and ill continue with changes

I did a 50% water change and I'll do one again tomorrow. What I've been realizing is that only my male gourami seems stressed and i thought it was due to ammonia but all the other fish are fine? Now im seeing that the femal gouramis are being very aggressive toward the male and nipping at his tail. Do you guys think they're attacking him because he's acting weak or is he acting weak because he's being picked on?

Any tips on what I could do to help him out?

Update: unfortunately my beautiful male gourami hid himself deep in a plant from the females that were picking on him and i found he had passed away the next morning... :( however i might have found the root of the issue. I think one of the female gouramis i have was mistakenly sold to me but is actually a juvenile male gourami? Colors are starting to show on its size can anyone weigh in on this?

image-3755564819.jpg

But i realize that my females are definitely females because of the fins. And im throwing up the color change to the fact that they might just be calm in my tank so they are letting some color show.

Back
Top Bottom