Help Again! Sick Female Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thranduillion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, it's me again. I recently lost a female guppy in my 30 gal to a strange fuzzy, white growth on her belly - still of an undetermined cause.

Now, I noticed a nasty wound on the belly of my remaining female guppy. As I watched, there was a red, thin string coming from it, which soon went missing as she swam around. She is otherwise acting normal and swimming normally.

My 30 g has been running for 6 months, and houses: 1 dwarf gourami, 2 platies, guppies (1 male and (now) 2 female), albino glow light tetras, Ottos and julii cories

Is this anchor worm? Or is something attacking her? I also noticed today that my male guppy has been chasing one of my female platies around, nipping at her belly. It was quite strange as she seemed to swim sideways to "present" her stomach to him - or maybe fight him off? I've separated them by putting the female in another tank but is it better that I remove the male guppy?

Please help! I have no clue what's happening to my fish - they were doing so well :(

Here are some pictures of the guppy

Attachments

• IMG_5937.jpg
    IMG_5937.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5938.jpg
    IMG_5938.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5939.jpg
    IMG_5939.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 52
the flipping over on her side is mating/submissive behavior. Likely unrelated, unless you don't have a high enough female / male ratio. Too many boys and the girls could be getting harassed to death. Common in these kind of fish.

Male guppies will 'hit' anything they can catch.
They have absolutely no control over them selves!
as for the wound,I believe anchor worm does not release or release quick enough to note as you did.
The red string sounds like an internal worm.
Have you noticed any protruding from the fishes anus?
Look into camalanus if this may be a possibility.
Other search nematodes or other internal parasites.
Regardless of parameters I would be making large water changes to ensure the highest water quality to aid in recovery.
Good luck.

After looking into callamanus and its symptoms, it seems like it might be a possibility :(

All my fish are still eating so perhaps I've caught it early. I will be ordering levamisole and hopefully that'll take care of it.

After looking into callamanus and its symptoms, it seems like it might be a possibility :(

All my fish are still eating so perhaps I've caught it early. I will be ordering levamisole and hopefully that'll take care of it.
I hope your research is accurate and your solution works.
I feel good hearing you will order levamisole (HCI) as this means you read some accurate links.
Many try other meds that just don't always cut it.
If you have trouble finding the med here is a good connection;

Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium

Treating Your water with Levamisole

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom