Help ASAP this been like this 24-48 hrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mousefue

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I got a Dwarf gouramis and it's been laying at the bottom of the tank for 24-48 hrs it looks it gasping for air

I have done a water test and chagen and put in some general toxic cleaner

And up O2 to see if it help but I really don't no wot up with him I have never seen this b4

He look dead but he breathing

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416153452.898664.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416153475.444712.jpg

Sent from my iPad air using Aquarium Advice

Hello. Several days ago I noticed my male Dwarf Gourami had become inactive: "resting" in a dense plant. Also, it didn't seem to be interested in feeding time. I left to do some research on the computer and by the time I came back it was swimming in the tank. I dismissed previous behavior. Today the fish was lying on it's side at the bottom of the tank. There is no visible issue with ich, etc. No visible bloat. When the fish is roused it swims fairly well without roll, however I might say it seems to "point up" (nose to the top/tail to bottom) a bit more than normal? All other fish in tank seem healthy.

Gourami are surface breathers - he's in trouble if he can't get to the surface to breathe. Try and help him up to the top.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok tks I have put he up to the top in a baby tank

Can anyone help x

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Need the usual info please;

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Looks like a bad situation. They can be sensitive species and an array of things could be causing this. What is your tank temp? How long have you had him? What are the water tests showing (ammonia, nitrite, Nitrate)?

Tank tep 27. - 28c
Water test everything was perfect
Had the fish 4 months x

afflicted? Fish Is a Dwarf gouramis but to the best of my ability I cannot see any specific symptoms for any disease. There are no sores or lesions, fin rot or ick or bloat. He is just laying on the bottom of the tank and occasionally swimming up for air then laying on the bottom again. He is still bright in colour and just lays on his side (look at picture) we have put him in a nursing tank to see if being near the top of the tank helps with his breathing. He is also not eating.
The tank has been running a little over a year
Water chagen 15-20% every week and add (APL tap water conditioner + stress coat 4 weeks
Clean the whole tank every two weeks ie vacuum the gravel clean the glass and wash the filters

The tank is 90L = 23gal
Temperature 26-28 C= 78.8-82.2 F
Filter is Aqaba internal 200 x 2
Light. 18wat T8pro tropical daylight on 8hrs per day
One air stone

Water test today was reading API freshwater master test kit
High Ammonia. Nitrite Nitrite
ph NH3/NH4. No2. No3
7.4. 0pp. 0ppm. 0ppm

The food is high protein fish food
And catfish pellets for the bottom feeders
Had the fish Dwarf gouramis for three months and yesterday he got ill

12 tetras
4 albino catfish
2 guppies
4 Cherry barbs
3 Dwarf gouramis
1 ILL Dwarf gouramis

DID FULL CLEAN TODAY WITH 20% water change

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416179618.442559.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416179643.172260.jpg

If anything I would think that basically the fish is just dying. I could only presume why is because you've got a fairly over crowded tank. I'm also thinking that you have albino cories and not albino catfish. At either rate, neither of those suitable for a 23g tank. Also the guppy/barb combo is not the safest either.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Without plugging it all into aqadvisor your tank seems overstocked. I had dwarfs for 4 years, 5 alone in a 55 gallon heavily planted they did well. Was this fish affected by an ammonia spike at any time I've read they are very suseptable to death with un maintained water quality. I would put him in a QT Tank and see what happens but they are surface breathers so theoretically he could drown if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry it's 150 litre tank x

afflicted? Fish Is a Dwarf gouramis but to the best of my ability I cannot see any specific symptoms for any disease. There are no sores or lesions, fin rot or ick or bloat. He is just laying on the bottom of the tank and occasionally swimming up for air then laying on the bottom again. He is still bright in colour and just lays on his side (look at picture) we have put him in a nursing tank to see if being near the top of the tank helps with his breathing. He is also not eating.
The tank has been running a little over a year
Water chagen 15-20% every week and add (APL tap water conditioner + stress coat 4 weeks
Clean the whole tank every two weeks ie vacuum the gravel clean the glass and wash the filters

The tank is 90L = 23gal
Temperature 26-28 C= 78.8-82.2 F
Filter is Aqaba internal 200 x 2
Light. 18wat T8pro tropical daylight on 8hrs per day
One air stone

Water test today was reading API freshwater master test kit
High Ammonia. Nitrite Nitrite
ph NH3/NH4. No2. No3
7.4. 0pp. 0ppm. 0ppm

The food is high protein fish food
And catfish pellets for the bottom feeders
Had the fish Dwarf gouramis for three months and yesterday he got ill

12 tetras
4 albino catfish
2 guppies
4 Cherry barbs
3 Dwarf gouramis
1 ILL Dwarf gouramis

DID FULL CLEAN TODAY WITH 20% water change

View attachment 255929
View attachment 255931

Out of interest are you washing the filters in tank water change water or tap water treated with a water conditioner? Just checking the filter bacteria are not getting disturbed too much.

Edit - on the fish I can't see anything either. I don't usually get them to come back from that stage. All I could think of (assuming water conditions are all fine) would be to try antibiotics or metronidazole as a last ditch attempt if no other suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi I clean them in tank water when I do a water change only clean the filters every 4 to 5 weeks so not to disturb them too much I clean them in a buckets of the fish tank water that I have taken out

Yep I am always on top of my water tests I do them once a month and they are always spot on I really don't know what it can be the other dwarf fish are all okay it's just this one or the other fish seem okay no obvious symptoms x

Ok. And no other changes in the tank when it started (in case I missed anything). No new plants or new fish, no extra large water change/clean or change in tank temp (eg hot weather spike), new fish food or anything?

Internal bacterial (eg hot weather spike) or then internal parasites (eg new plants) or then something in the water chemistry (eg really big mucky gravel clean) is what is suggested to me. Could any of these fit?

No there's not been any spikes maybe the temperature dropped to 26 but it's normally 27-27.5 the gravel is clean as when I do a full clean I haver the gravel really good no other new fish no new plants nothing so I really don't know if it was the illness he's got as I do my best to stick with cleaning the tank as I'm really proud of my fish tank so I do look after itI have been googling but can't come up with anything

Gee, it's a nice looking fish as well.

Well I'm going to stick with the antibiotics/metronidazole suggestion. See if you get other posts though.

Back
Top Bottom