help! baby brown knife with red stick coming out of chest!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thompsoncm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive got a brown knife that is about 6 inches long, hes just a baby but ive had him for a few months now and ive grown so attatched, my whole aquarium got ick a few weeks ago i lost both angels and the only things i have left now are my brown knife and my glofish. but now Perseus (brown knife) has this growth coming out of his chest id say its about 1/4th of an inch its a red stick about the size of a 14 guage needle. and there is a white bubble (looks like infection) that is around the part sticking out. Perseus has made it through ick hes been totally clean for about a week now and now this secondary "infection" has come about.

can anyone give me any suggestions? ive continued treating him with protozoan treatments and salt since i noticed this growth a day or two ago but its not getting better.

below are the two best pictures i could get of him...sorry lowish quality.

downsize1s.jpg

downsizees.jpg

what kind of meds did you use to treat the ich. i know i have a knife and they cant normally take meds very well because they are a scaleless fish

i used cure all to treat him, its the same thing i used in another tank with a golden loach and the loach took to it fine and came back strong, so i thought it would be safe for him.

i checked out the roundworms sections, it looks pretty close to the type of "blister" he has around his butthole, but none of those pictures have anything coming out of the "blister" which my guy has a red stick coming out it doesnt really show in the pics though...

Ya, those are round worms. They live in the intestinal track of the fish and are easily spread. My aadvice is QT the fish if you can and as fast as possible. Treat the fish with a med for internal parasites and be VERY careful as you want to make sure that it dosent effect scaleless fish (which there are not alot out there). I would use Piperazine.

INTERNAL PARASITE MEDICATIONS; Piperazine, Praziquantel, and Levamisol

Piperazine:

USE: Piperazine is an organic compound used as an anti-parasitic in veterinary medicine, primarily for worms. Piperazine works through anthelmintic action (used to expel or destroy parasitic worms in the gastro-intestinal tract). Their mode of action is generally by paralysing parasites, which allows the host body to easily remove or expel the invading organism. This action is mediated by its agonist effects upon the inhibitory GABA (the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate central nervous system.) receptor. Its selectivity for worms and similar invertebrates is because vertebrates only use GABA in the Central Nervous System and a worms GABA receptor is a different isoform (A protein having the same function and similar [or identical sequence], but the product of a different gene and usually) to the vertebrate's one.
This product should never be used in the presence of invertebrates as for the reasons outlined above. Piperazine aquatic uses are restricted to internal parasite control, especially intestinal worms. Piperazine is proven effective for Capillaria Nematode worms that infest the intestines of Angelfish, Discus, some other cichlids, and occasionally other aquarium species. In the aquarium the disease spreads easily from fish to fish as they consume the eggs of the worms, shed in feces of infected individuals.
Piperazine is found in Prazipro, Pepso Flakes, and the now discontinued Tetra Anti-Parasite Flakes

Aquarium Medications and treatments; Parasite & Chemical Treatments

EDIT: it might be a roundworm going threw its life cycle and coming out. Which means your other fish could be infected.

piperazine like whats in extacy?

hes already quarentined. has been since the ick.

Back
Top Bottom