HELP!! Beloved fish in trouble.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bau?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Business as usual[normalcy]

I hope it has been established whether the root cause is damaged gills, or ich, or swim bladder before raising the temp. Also frequent fluctuations in temp may cause further[fatal] stress.

Did she just get caught on the driftwood or was she flashing on the driftwood? I don't see the need to lift temp imo unless it is something like ich that will die off at 86F. I'm not sure for other parasites. If you do lift temp, I would also increase aeration.

I increased aeration. A LOT. and she got caught on the driftwood. I honestly think it was constipation Or swim bladder. She finally ate some peas and spirulina today.

Business as usual[normalcy]

I hope it has been established whether the root cause is damaged gills, or ich, or swim bladder before raising the temp. Also frequent fluctuations in temp may cause further[fatal] stress.

Yes I put it back to 80 and I belie bit was constipation or swim bladder.

What else is in the tank? Size? Water parameters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What else is in the tank? Size? Water parameters?

70 gallon
2 fire mouths
1 geo
1 pleco
1 Severum
1 scat
Ph 7.0 and other parameters are good

Parrots probably just a genetic misfit, not long for the tank.. happens alot with those types of fish (tinkered with)

I increased aeration. A LOT. and she got caught on the driftwood. I honestly think it was constipation Or swim bladder. She finally ate some peas and spirulina today.

Green peas are the best. Ways to prevent it in future is:
1. feed live food occasionally[daphnia, mosquito larvae, tubifex, etc]
2. soak dry food prior to feeding. Dry food expands when consumed directly by fish. This has a detrimental effect.
3. Its okay to not feed your fish once in a while. This helps clear their system.
4. try including blanched peas in their diet every now and then. Also helps keep their tummies clean.

70 gallon
2 fire mouths
1 geo
1 pleco
1 Severum
1 scat
Ph 7.0 and other parameters are good

I've heard scats are best when kept in brackish conditions?!

Parrots probably just a genetic misfit, not long for the tank.. happens alot with those types of fish (tinkered with)

It is a side affect of the genetic issues. But I'm proud to say after a few days of healing and hardcore fixing. She is swimming and eating normally.

Green peas are the best. Ways to prevent it in future is:
1. feed live food occasionally[daphnia, mosquito larvae, tubifex, etc]
2. soak dry food prior to feeding. Dry food expands when consumed directly by fish. This has a detrimental effect.
3. Its okay to not feed your fish once in a while. This helps clear their system.
4. try including blanched peas in their diet every now and then. Also helps keep their tummies clean.

I've heard scats are best when kept in brackish conditions?!

I have done all of the 4 except the first. Where can I find live daphnia?

And second yes they are a brackish fish so they can stay fresh or saltwater. This one in particular was born into freshwater with 0 salt and it has been this way it's entire life so far. I am slowly adding salt for him. I have more plans for him in the future.

You can try culturing them, but it may not prove to be cost, time & energy efficient in the long run. My suggestion, check your lfs for stock. Alternatively you can go the tubifex/black worm/ mosquito larvae/grindal worm route[though dapnia is best suited for the purpose].

Also, keep an eye on the fish for a few days to make sure the issue does not recur.

You can try culturing them, but it may not prove to be cost, time & energy efficient in the long run. My suggestion, check your lfs for stock. Alternatively you can go the tubifex/black worm/ mosquito larvae/grindal worm route[though dapnia is best suited for the purpose].

Also, keep an eye on the fish for a few days to make sure the issue does not recur.

The fish has developed some black blotches on her body and fins

First up would be to check ammonia and make sure it is 0 and it's not ammonia burns. I'd also check ph at the same time. The antibiotics may have killed off some nitrifying bacteria a day or so ago.

First up would be to check ammonia and make sure it is 0 and it's not ammonia burns. I'd also check ph at the same time. The antibiotics may have killed off some nitrifying bacteria a day or so ago.

Ph is 7.0 and ammonia is 0. I put in beneficial bacteria. I don't know what else to do

My 2 cents, the antibiotics killed off the BB leading to a mini-cycle. The black blotches may actually be signs that the fish is recovering from the initial NH3 spike/burns. Wouldn't worry about it as long as the water conditions are kept pristine. One of the reasons its preferable to move a fish to quarantine prior to treatment.

My 2 cents, the antibiotics killed off the BB leading to a mini-cycle. The black blotches may actually be signs that the fish is recovering from the initial NH3 spike/burns. Wouldn't worry about it as long as the water conditions are kept pristine. One of the reasons its preferable to move a fish to quarantine prior to treatment.

Great thanks. And I am building a quarantine system as we speak so it will work out for the future. This time I spent a fortune on medicine because it's a 70g tank. And all the meds are made for 10 gallons and smaller quarantine tanks

Back
Top Bottom