Help! Big Worm(?) hanging from Sunburst Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2BeachGirls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sunburst Platy that is only a little over an inch long with about a 2 inch long "worm" hanging out of the poop hole. The other Platy I have has a noticible thing barely coming out of the same place. WHAT IS THIS YUCKY THING?

I lost a zebra danio this morning as well.

I have set my tank up exactly 7 days ago. I bought 23 fish from the local Petsmart and used bio-spira at the same time to start the tank. The first 4-5 days were perfect with all tests showing well and no fish deaths.

We lost a Platy on Saturday who suddenly had her tail eaten away and was hanging near the top then died later that day.

I did a 25% partial water change on Saturday night after the fish loss because I thought it was the right thing to do...The next morning I had all my tetras, platys and danios at the top of the tank gasping for air. There was no detectable ammonia or nitrites from either the AP test kit or the quick dip strips. The only things that I can guess at are I used water that came through our water softener to refill the tank and may have been enough different from the outside hose water I originally filled the tank with to "freak" them out or I put in too much PRIME when I refilled. The directions said when adding back to tank directly to base on volume so I put in approximately 1 and 1/2 capfuls of PRIME with only about 16 gallons of water replaced.

After the 50% water change last night I did not add any more PRIME thinking that if that was the problem I needed to dilute. I understand that PRIME stays in the water and the residual should have got out the chlorine from the new water (hopfully). The fish are happier and are swimming at their normal levels and no longer gasping at the top.

I have a planted tank as well and have no idea what sickness they may have and how to treat... Please help!

2BeachGirls said:
I have a sunburst Platy that is only a little over an inch long with about a 2 inch long "worm" hanging out of the poop hole. The other Platy I have has a noticible thing barely coming out of the same place. WHAT IS THIS YUCKY THING?
some fish get long poops that hang on for a while, can you get a picture? also what and how much are you feeding?

What a newby I am! I called around to my LFS trying to find some anti-parasite medication and one very knowledgeable person asked what the parasite symptoms were and after I told him he kind of laughed and said it was probably just poop! (same as JDogg suggested).

I will hold off on the emergency treatment and hope for the best when I get home. If it is still there I will take a picture and post for some suggestions....

I did feed them two sinking vegatable wafers and an algae pellet last night and the platys were going at them pretty heavily. After the 50% water change and stressing them I was trying to be nice.....

For 2 inches I'd say poop. If it were half and inch or less I'd say it was a boy fish, since they have some outside reproductive anatomy.

Back
Top Bottom