Help! Cloudy water, fish gasping at surface, normal water readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chloer43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 180l freshwater tank that has been running for 1 year and 7 months and never had any problems before. Today, the water was cloudy and the fish were gasping at the top, there were three fatalities already.

I did a water test and as far as I can tell, everything Looks normal, I ummed and ahhhed if ammonia was 0 or 0.25, but on the white background, I feel it is 0 and fish don’t appear to have any red around gills or anything. I did a 30% water change after this. When trying to restart the filter, there was a lot of air in it and we were having trouble, so I checked and low and behold, the filter seemed full of dark hairy algae, I cleaned it up best I could without rinsing everything with untreated water. Immediately after, the fish appeared happier and swimming as normal (although water remains cloudy looking) Now after an hour, the fish have started to gasp at the top again. I have a 1400 all ponds solution filter and a wave maker, the heater appears to be on and the temperature reads 25.3 degrees Celsius at the moment. I don’t know if it’s some sort of bacterial bloom due to the filter? I’m thinking to do a partial water change every day or every two days to help, but I don’t know what else to do and I’m worrying about the poor fish.

Please help!

Back
Top Bottom