HELP! Dead fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Super_Blueberry said:
That's most likely the source of your problem. The majority of you BB lives in your filter material, so every time you throw it out, you pretty much restart your cycle. Most of us use our filters until they are literally falling apart, and only clean them when flow is blocked.

Thanks!! So, should I just keep my filters in longer, or is there anything else I should do too?

Pmcgoldie said:
Thanks!! So, should I just keep my filters in longer, or is there anything else I should do too?

It's a good start. What does your maintenance schedule look like? How often/how large are your pwc's? Do you vac the gravel? Etc.

Super_Blueberry said:
It's a good start. What does your maintenance schedule look like? How often/how large are your pwc's? Do you vac the gravel? Etc.

I do a pwc about every other week (I've heard people say that you should do it more often though...) I vac the gravel as I do the pwc, and end up taking out 2/10 gallons.

Between you 20% water changes, and putting a new filter in with every water change, I can see that being the problem. Has you test kit arrived? What are your exact parameters?

Super_Blueberry said:
Between you 20% water changes, and putting a new filter in with every water change, I can see that being the problem. Has you test kit arrived? What are your exact parameters?

Thanks!! I just checked the order status for the test kit, and it says that I should expect to get the kit on Wednesday...I'll keep you posted when it arrives

Pmcgoldie said:
How often do you recommend that I do my partial water changes?

I do mine every week if I can. Sometimes every other week if I'm busy or too lazy too do them :)

I change 50-60% weekly myself. Sometimes if I have the time or notice a pile of poo, I'll throw in a change 3-4 days apart. Once you get your kit, that will give you a pretty good idea how often to change the water, typically when nitrates reach 40ppm.

Super_Blueberry said:

The kit came!! :) Here are the parameters:

Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Temperature: 72 f

The above are the results after a 50% water change...

Do another 50% water change because your ammonia should be below .25ppm. Also check your tap water ammonia level. The rest of the parameters are good.

Link119 said:
Do another 50% water change because your ammonia should be below .25ppm. Also check your tap water ammonia level. The rest of the parameters are good.

Thanks, will do! I've had problems with ammonia in the past and have purchased APIs Ammo-Lock...would you recommend that I put the correct dosage of that in my tank? Would it work/help any??

Pmcgoldie said:
Thanks, will do! I've had problems with ammonia in the past and have purchased APIs Ammo-Lock...would you recommend that I put the correct dosage of that in my tank? Would it work/help any??

I've never used it, but I do know that almost everyone on here will say no. In fact, lot of people don't like using any chemicals in their tanks unless absolutely necessary. Water changes will be your best bet. I had to do daily 50% changes on my 55g during my fish-in cycle, so I know the hassle it can be....

Super_Blueberry said:
I've never used it, but I do know that almost everyone on here will say no. In fact, lot of people don't like using any chemicals in their tanks unless absolutely necessary. Water changes will be your best bet. I had to do daily 50% changes on my 55g during my fish-in cycle, so I know the hassle it can be....

That's good to know! I'll do another water change tomorrow...do you think that maybe the fish died from chemical poisoning? Like an idiot, I would dump certain chemicals in my tank every week like the bottle said to do. I've stopped doing that now for about 2 weeks, and haven't had any more problems...the fish used to hover on the surface with their fins clamped, now they are as happy as clams :))) and don't hover at the surface at all

Your fish are thanking you for keeping their water as healthy as possible via natural methods. ;)

That's most likely the source of your problem. The majority of you BB lives in your filter material, so every time you throw it out, you pretty much restart your cycle. Most of us use our filters until they are literally falling apart, and only clean them when flow is blocked.

is it bad to rinse your filters(in tank water) every time you do a water change?

So, once my readings get back to normal, do you guys think that it will be safe to add more fish?? My one balloon belly is lookin kinda lonely... ;)

Back
Top Bottom