Help! Decision on camallanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, so about 2 months ago, one of my fish started showing signs of bad Camallanus worms, I've been trying every cure possible, but they aren't working. It's taken almost 2 months for them to start affecting the visible health of my fish, and now she's hiding and looking lethargic. And the worms are getting to a whole inch long on my little guppy!! Any ideas? And this is a terrible thought but should I do euthanasia if it gets any worse? It's jus that they are still laying eggs and it looks like her condition keeps getting worse!
Thanks!
I'll try to get pics!

If you've tried the fenbenazole route and your worms showed immunity go to Aquabid for levimosal if you are US. Searching around I found that people have gotten levimosal from MVP on aqua bid and from Charles Harris off his own site. From word of mouth both seem legit. I am ordering mine from MVP because his price is reasonable and I have heard good reviews on him. May not need it but want it on hand JIC it comes back. Some others stuff I came across (depending where ppl where) was getting fen Ben from vets in powder or liquid form, flubel 15, and sera nemol( want to say uk). I have no experience with any of these and double check my spelling on the drugs as you google. In mean time you can try to buy your fish time, frozen daphnia is a decent laxative to keep them from getting blocked up, I use it because my fish won't touch peas. Also keeping high water quality and feeding high quality food (in limited amount as to not block them up) may give them the strength to muscle through. Fish that are too bad off won't survive treatment so euthanasia may be your best bet. The most humane way I know is Clove oil. Easy to obtain (tooth are isle if drug stores) and doesn't take much. There is a great thread on I believe Oscar fish that comes up when you google how to euthanize a fish with clove oil. As long as your fish are still eating, IMO, you still have a chance of pulling them through with the right meds. Once they stop eating treatment options get limited.

If you need it "right away", levamisole or preferably Praziquental. Prazi is only available from a vet and levamisole more readily available. As Chrissi pointed out, clove oil is the euthanization method. Wish you the best.

Not saying it's not worth the try but most info I found was that praziquantel was obsolete as far as these worms are concerned. Once a successful treatment it now has not shown itself to be effective. You may want done on hand to deal with secondary outbreaks pr additional infections. Angels Plus makes a prazi based flake and prazi pro from Hikari is a good medication. Clout is known to have some effect on a nematode exposed to water column but I always saw clout as a last ditch effort, like bombing an ant hill with an a bomb, it also has no effect as an internal treatment.

The tricky part of camellanus is that you don't know what was used in fish farms prior to having an outbreak and this particular parasite adapts easily. What worked once may not work again on the same strain. It has grown resilient to typical parasite medications since it became rampant.

Back
Top Bottom