Help diagnosing symptoms on a Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.....

Thought I'd see if anyone might have an idea what's going on with my Red Wag Platy. Over the last 3 days or so, I've noticed one of his eyes appears clouded over & there seems to be a small white bump just above it.......the immediate eye area seems swollen. He doesn't really act sick, still eats very well and is pretty active.

He's in a 20 gall tank that has been cycled and up & runnning for about 4-5 weeks. Water parameters are as follows: Ammonia=0; Nitrites=0 and Nitrates 5-10 ppm. Actually, the Nitrates have never been above the 5-10 range. I do 50-75% water changes 1x week--have done 2 large water changes in the last 4 days since I noticed this as I figured fresh water certainly couldn't hurt anything, and might help.

His tankmates include 4 other Platys, 1 Swordtail, 1 Dwarf Gourami, & 8 Lemon Tetras. All of the other fish are doing fine.

I don't have a QT Tank and didn't want to start experimenting with meds until I got some input--any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Are any of the new fish a recent addition to your tank? Any new plants?

Cloudy eye is usually a stress issue. Clean water is of upmost importance when treating it. I'd add in some melafix to the tank to help along.

Also, are the dots above the eye small and look like salt? Or, are they larger and look like small tumors?

I don't have any live plants and the only new addition is the Swordtail--though I got him about the same time this problem appeared.

It's definitely not ich----a small bump or tumor would be a better way to describe it, very small & right above the eye.

Would the Melafix be ok with the Tetras?

Thanks.......

I've had a lot of red wags with the same problem. The white bump becomes an area devoid of scales. It could be a congenital defect. I've tried many treatment to no effect. They seem okay for a while then start to waste.

I recently had an issue with cloudy eye. Keep the water parameters pristine and watch it closely. What seemed to be cloudy eye for me soon turned out to be pop eye. I treated with Maracyn II with complete success. Good luck.

Thanks, all! Will definitely keep on top of the water changes and keep a close watch on it. I'd hate to lose this guy--he's a beautiful red-wag with quite an attitude. Thinks he runs the place, and puts on quite a show when he tries to "school" with the Lemon Tetras :lol: --he's definitely the comedian in the tank.

Tiffi, thank you for the link........I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom