Help Dwarf gouramis 24-48ILL HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mousefue

Aquarium Advice Freak
afflicted? Fish Is a Dwarf gouramis but to the best of my ability I cannot see any specific symptoafflicted? Fish Is a Dwarf gouramis but to the best of my ability I cannot see any specific symptoms for any disease. There are no sores or lesions, fin rot or ick or bloat. He is just laying on the bottom of the tank and occasionally swimming up for air then laying on the bottom again. He is still bright in colour and just lays on his side (look at picture) we have put him in a nursing tank to see if being near the top of the tank helps with his breathing. He is also not eating.

The tank has been running a little over a year

Water chagen 15-20% every week and add (APL tap water conditioner + stress coat 4 weeks

Clean the whole tank every two weeks ie vacuum the gravel clean the glass and wash the filters

The tank is 90L = 23gal

Temperature 26-28 C= 78.8-82.2 F

Filter is Aqaba internal 200 x 2

Light. 18wat T8pro tropical daylight on 8hrs per day

One air stone

Water test today was reading API freshwater master test kit

High Ammonia. Nitrite Nitrite

ph NH3/NH4. No2. No3

7.4. 0pp. 0ppm. 0ppm

The food is high protein fish food

And catfish pellets for the bottom feeders

Had the fish Dwarf gouramis for three months and yesterday he got ill

12 tetras

4 albino catfish

2 guppies

4 Cherry barbs

3 Dwarf gouramis

1 ILL Dwarf gouramis

DID FULL CLEAN TODAY WITH 20% water change

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416181028.485779.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416181058.698861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sadly, these fish often die just like this, for no obvious reason. Sometimes they don't even last a few weeks. Stock from farms they're bred on have been tested and often a very high percentage of the fish are sick before they even leave the farms. Over the past ten years or so, the quality of these fish has gone down drastically. It's sad, they are quite lovely, but often simply don't survive.

I don't quite understand the water parameters you posted. Spellcheck strikes again ! I think you said zero ammonia,, zero nitrite, was that last one meant to be niTRATE ? In any case, I think it's likely the fish, not the water, that's the problem.

You have 3 dwarf gouramis in a 23g tank. Were the others chasing this one a lot? He could be stressed if that is the case. he does not look beat up, but even intimidation and chasing can cause stress and lead to deaths.
These fish do have a high mortality rate as was stated.
Are you sure that did all your tests correctly? You really need to shake the dickens out of the nitrate one to get it to work correctly.

When you say " wash the filters" are you rinsing the filter pads in tank water or tap ?? Never use tap water unless it's Conditioned first, it kills off the BB.

I don't recommend gravel vac and cleaning filters the same day...might get rid of too much BB ?

And I also agree 3 males could be too many. Heck sometimes you can only keep 1. Male DGs can be super territorial. A few are peaceful.

There is a DG disease as well, but his color does look good. Stress perhaps ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mmmm yes the water test was spot on
no other fish was chasing him
And when I change the water I clean the filter pads in the bucket of tank water
Sorry the tank is 150 L but his colour is still really bright x

Ok, 150 liters is mnore like 40 gallons. That is a fair bit bigger than 23g.
That said, you should still have nitrates. Is your tank planted?

I just has moss balls in there maybe 15 x

Hi just update all of you that Fish has got a lot better since being in the hospital tank with antibiotics thank you for all your help xx

Back
Top Bottom