Help finrot treatment not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deminox

Aquarium Advice Regular
29 gallon tank.
Ph 6.8-7.0 week to week stays that area.
Kh is 3, slowly bringing it back to 5
Amonia nitrate nitrite all zero.

2 fancy tail goldfish, 1 pleco.

Finrot started 3 weeks ago. Did a water change, kept an eye, gravel vacced, all that stuff. After a week no progress but it didn't get worse. Started a melafix treatment since my tetras in another tank got a bacterial mouth infection around the same time (nothing is shared between tanks not even nets. Water source is the only common thing, filtered tap water, treated with stress coat and sits for 24 hours before use.)

Week of melafix and one goldfish started to look a little better, not the other. Pleco had been doing fine.

Did the water changes and put the filters back, one goldfish got worse fast. Huge tear down one fin and blood spots on one fin.

Lfs recommended i bring the kh up and the ph up to an even 7 or even 7.1 got some crushed coral. Bought some expensive pellets because they have probiotics in them. Restarted melafix. Added 3 banana plants because lfs said if im already doing a melafix treatment that's a good time to add a plant if i was planning to anyways (i had asked if i should wait. I wanted to add them last week) because on the off chance theres anything bad on the plant the melafix will take care of it.

Very next day both fish bottom sitting, one has red steaks in fins. Pleco is acting drunk.

I read that melafix cant fix an infection only help heal after. I have some TC but i had this same problem last year almost exact time of year and after adding TC one fishes tail just evaporated in a day and she died. Im now terrified to use it again. Not sure what to do.

And NO the tank isnt over crowded people seem to obsess over 2 goldfish in a 29, my levels always test perfect except a drop in the kh recently. Overcrowded there would be amonia spikes or nitrates or nitrites, or something. This is. . I don't know what.

Any help on what to do?

This post brought to you by.. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Fin rot also known as columnaris is a bacterial infection.
It likes clean warm water.
Often in agricultural situations it is seasonal.
I think for some keepers also.
TC is not an effective med for columnaris at this time(we are growing stronger diseases!).
Kanamycin and furan are chosen meds for columnaris.
The tetras have the same thing but possibly in different form.
Couple links on columnaris;
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Although columnaris loves clean water I see no mention of your waterchanges ,beside as a seeming "emergency reaction" to your issue.
I would start changing more water on both your tanks.
If you don't go the antibiotic route there are a couple more complicated resolutions,
like PP or H2O2.
If the fish die and you don't treat columnaris is documented to have 32+ day life without host and many (again in agricultural markets) think it lives for over a year ?

Back to you porcupine!

Where the goldfish make a lot of waste, i gravel vac once a month sometimes twice. I usually remove between 2-4 gallons of water when i do this. Where there are only the 3 fish in the tank, with double filters and lots of air surface agitation (a strong air pump that's divided between air stone and bubbler toy, so as not to have too strong a current in one area, plus i leave the water at least an inch below the filter for more surface agitation) so the normally overkill water changes some goldfish tanks need don't seem to fit the need here. It's been a long time since I've had a water issue and that was because i was only using bottled water and water run through a britta. I guess that isn't good either.

I DO keep an eye on their amonia and other levels, i give salt when i change water, and in the summer they lose an additional gallon a week just from evaporation, so they are getting new water. I skipped all that because typing on this phone even using swype is a pain the longer i have to do it. So i figured I'd leave my water parameters in and just mention is been stable, and only mention the extra things that are pertinent, the extra water change ahead of schedule, the coral pieces, the progression of the Bacteria, etc.

I will say the tetra might also be fungus I'm not 100%. Looks like a white sphere on its lip, but it's able to eat. But that both tanks got infected by something at the same time with no cross contamination is odd to me, that's why i guessed bacteria, maybe the town water? We get notices a few times a year a month AFTER the town discovers bacteria in the water, the letter always says they are required to notify us by law, but the levels are not harmful to humans. Always makes me worried about my fish. Its also why i always used to use the britta.

Can columnaris come from tap water?

Thanks for the info, and the quick reply. For that i shall not grab your nose with a pliers

Ok, read the articles. I don't see any bacterial / fungal growth on any part of the aquarium like it mentioned. The gills look ok. Its just fins and behavior. No lesions on their bodies, just the tattered fins and the red lines that normally point to nitrite poisoning (but again, levels spot on.) Might it be something else then?

Goldfish fin condition: https://youtu.be/uMTPizSvudc

Video upload. Though you cannot see the pleco being drunk. Does this help anyone?

I don't see any finrot. But i see them splitting. Keep the water clean and maybe try first melafix or primafix or Furan-2. IF that dosent work, consider ordering online a medicated antibiotic food like kanamycin or Terramycin. Angelsplus.com has medicated antibiotic food for cheap.

I think fish's fins split because of too large of water changes or rough handling. Dosent even require meds and its not columnaris, which IS very common (coral im not trying to make you mad) but honestly they just need time and maybe not change so much of the water at once......

At Matt: I don't ever handle the fish. And its a 29 gallon tank, the water changes arent that big by ratio.. HOWEVER you are right on it being a water problem. My tank levels test fine because it is cycled and i keep everything in good balance. Tested the tap water.. Absurdly low ph, trace amonia, and we got a notice in the mail that the water had been treated recently for a "minor bacteria problem" that is "no risk to humans".

Update on the fish for everyone: started filtering my water for the fish through my Britta. Cut back the melafix to half a dose every other day, with filter back in, and every other day a small 1 gallon water change. I know this significantly reduces the effect of the melafix, but thats the point. Low dose and reduce their stress.

I also removed the coral, it caused too rapid a ph spike, stupid me i forgot with such a low kh that the coral would have a more dramatic effect. Added some more stabilizer, will continue slowly until kh gradually gets back to par. My pleco started acting better almost immediately. So did the goldfish. Tails are recovering, only a small blotch of red now. They are far more active but still bottom sitting a few hours a day, but not all at once and not even every day now.

I also found a piece of rotted zucchini pushed under a rock, probably from when the goldfish were foraging for their sinking food. This was right under where they usually sleep at night. So even though its decay wasn't enough to throw off my levels, it certainly didn't help.

Below is an updated video.

"It's funny... everytime I walk into the pet store..the goldfish scream..."
- J. Arbuckle

https://youtu.be/21DMLf O 0Z2k eliminate spaces between 0s. Dumb app keeps making it an emoji lol

"It's funny... everytime I walk into the pet store..the goldfish scream..."
- J. Arbuckle

Yup. Much better than the listless lumps lumbering lowly before.

Man thats a nice tank! Where did you find a frameless tank, and how much did it cost? It looks to be about 29 gallons. SUcks that your water is not good for fish rearing, some people just do not have good water. My water here is very hard.
Hard water leads to more bacterial infections, i think your goldies will be fine!

Back
Top Bottom