Help fish dropping like flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't freeze them but gradually turn it down a few degrees.

Caleb

My heater ain't adjustable. But if I unplugged it, it would gradually drop I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also just realized another bad thing that happened to me. By the time I found the first dead fish, the other had already eaten her guts, which apparently will result in internal infection... I know for sure that one of my remaining survivors was picking at the carcass, so that makes me worried about her survival... This sounds awful. So mad this happened to me!!!

The eating of the dead infected fish is a bad thing .
It certainly can help spread disease.
If you can't lower your temp accurately I would not discontinue heater use IMO.
The 32 day life cycle is common thought among keepers.
The agricultural market with less control over water quality are on the seasonal cycle.
They say ich has a 7-10 day life cycle and most say tank with no host for several weeks(3 times the lifecycle possibly).
I would want more then 32 days if I did not think I killed (or at least knocked the crap out of it) myself.
I would feel safe with 32 days no host in a medicated tank!

My heater ain't adjustable. But if I unplugged it, it would gradually drop I guess.

Quite true. Maybe an adjustable in the future :)

On the bright side you, me, and many others have learned the importance of quarantining new fish this summer!

Caleb

Its pretty hard to get me mad. Hope that didnt come across that way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The eating of the dead infected fish is a bad thing .
It certainly can help spread disease.
If you can't lower your temp accurately I would not discontinue heater use IMO.
The 32 day life cycle is common thought among keepers.
The agricultural market with less control over water quality are on the seasonal cycle.
They say ich has a 7-10 day life cycle and most say tank with no host for several weeks(3 times the lifecycle possibly).
I would want more then 32 days if I did not think I killed (or at least knocked the crap out of it) myself.
I would feel safe with 32 days no host in a medicated tank!

Ok, how would you properly lower the temp? What's wrong with unplugging it? Wouldn't the temp just slowly decrease?
And ok. Once the fish are out, I'll give it like 40 days with no fish and have medications.

HAHAHA.... Dont know why im here. That was sposed to be inanother thread. ?
Grrrr.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know it's kinda a gross picture, but I wanted to see what would happen to the bodies after death. I had the two dead ones in a seperate container. When I posted earlier that they had died, this body was floating with no white stuff around the body, and the other one was sunken, but was flavoring with the white stuff by now. I flushed them and I'm cleaning the container with bleach. Here's what she looked like. Does this help confirm that it's columnaris? http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/Mobile Uploads/image_zps6md0vnsi.jpg

84 atm :| not usually that high

Unlug your heater!
Check tank temp tomorrow!
Bettas are all good in low middle 80's and usually a trigger for columnaris is reaching a fishes limits.
I don't feel the temp is a stressor for the fish but it is aiding the disease unfortunately.
The bettas can survive without heat(not the proper way to keep them) so I would give it a shot.

Unlug your heater!
Check tank temp tomorrow!
Bettas are all good in low middle 80's and usually a trigger for columnaris is reaching a fishes limits.
I don't feel the temp is a stressor for the fish but it is aiding the disease unfortunately.
The bettas can survive without heat(not the proper way to keep them) so I would give it a shot.

Unplugged it. The tank should stay about 76 without the heater. My other tank without a heater was at 76, but since it's slightly unstable without a heater I gave the other tank a small heater to just keep it more stable.

The 2 remainders are healthy still!!

So the healthy ones when about 3 weeks and stayed healthy! I got new fish and it all started again... Down again to two. I got Bifuran and started treatment today. How long should I continue? And does anybody what % of wc you should do daily before dosing the Bifuran? If this doesn't work again, should I just completely take the tank down and let it dry out to make sure anything and everything is dead then completely restart with new everything? ?

Same two survivors?
Get your water cleaned up(several wc @ 30% or a couple @50%).
Do you have kanamycin also to go with the bifuran?
One without the other will not offer the same opportunity for a cure IMO.

Same two survivors?
Get your water cleaned up(several wc @ 30% or a couple @50%).
Do you have kanamycin also to go with the bifuran?
One without the other will not offer the same opportunity for a cure IMO.

One of them is the same. Another one is a flame gourami. The second previous surviver passed. The flame gourami is looking a bit weird since the water chance and adding the Bifuran... The little betta is fine though. I did a 30% and added the Bifuran. I do not have the kanamycin..

Try medicated flaked. Putting powder into water does little to help. Go to angelsplus. Com and order a antibiotic. I like oxytetracycline rather than kanamycin.

Try medicated flaked. Putting powder into water does little to help. Go to angelsplus. Com and order a antibiotic. I like oxytetracycline rather than kanamycin.

Like put the Bifuran on the food? I read to do that. And I'll look at it, but I'm not wanting to spend a ton more money.

The gourami really looked like he would die last night, but he's back to normal now!

Its not a ton of money its MUCH cheaper and last a long time to get medicated flake antibiotic, and works BETTER because it all goes directly into the fish.
IDK what bifuran is...never heard of it. Im talking about Kanamycin flake or Oxytetracycline flake. Antibiotic Fish Flake Food $5.50 for a big bad of food that will last years. IF your fish are/were in fact "dropping" like flies, having some of this on hand will prevent it from happening again.

Its not a ton of money its MUCH cheaper and last a long time to get medicated flake antibiotic, and works BETTER because it all goes directly into the fish.
IDK what bifuran is...never heard of it. Im talking about Kanamycin flake or Oxytetracycline flake. Antibiotic Fish Flake Food $5.50 for a big bad of food that will last years. IF your fish are/were in fact "dropping" like flies, having some of this on hand will prevent it from happening again.

Ok I'll think about it, but the Bifurn is known to do the exact same thing. You can put it on their flakes and then the fish eat it and get medicine in them, and can put it directly in the tank and medicate the tank to kill any bacteria that is on stuff.

Back
Top Bottom