HELP, fish dying fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a five gallon freshwater tank that until a couple days ago had 9 small fish. in the last couple days, 5 fish have died. it started witht eh algae sucker fish. for a couple days before it died, one of my other fish eemd weak and wasnt eating much, should i have gotten him out of there? this fish died at the same time as the algae sucker. i went and boutght a new alge sucker at the lfs. yesterday, my fish seemed fine, but today three have died so far, and it looks like the others wont live through the night. i dont know if there is much i can do for them, but does anyone have any input on what might have gone wrong? thanks for you advice

1. Is your tank fully cycled and mature? If not, I am guessing ammonia poisoning.

2. Over what period of time did you add these fish? If it was less than 4-6 weeks, I am guessing ammonia poisoning.

3. What sort of filtration do you have on your tank?

4. Just how big are these 9 fish? If they are all <2cm and will stay that way, then with proper cycling and filtration, your tank may just make it, otherwise, your tank is grossly over crowded.

two of the fish left are definetly no larger than 2 cm, one might be three and the otehr is prolly between 2 and 3. i have had the tank for 3 months. i never had any big fish, none have been more than 4 cm, and i havnt had any that big for a couple months now. all fish have been very healthy lately and none have died for a while until now. it was cycled and al the fish were acclimted properly. the only thing i can think of was a long time ago one of my gold fish had ich, i have odne water changes since then and none of the otehr fish were ever effected by it. its been 2 months since this inciident and nothing has gone wrong. thanks for all the advise

Back
Top Bottom