Help! Fish stunned during purchase.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my way home from the LFS (hubby is driving). Just purchased four Emerald Cories to join the Bronze in my 55g that I adopted from a neighbor. They looked fine in the store's tank but after getting bagged one was swimming some kinda upside down/kinda sideways.

The retailer actually suggested I not buy him but I didn't want just get the original three I came for and leave him by his lonesome. She gave me $5 off on him.

The fish are hopefully resting somewhat comfortably while I write this as I have them in an extra large bag from the LFS and in a large cooler to preserve the water temp. as much as possible.

I'm wondering what to do at home to ease his transition, assuming he makes it that long!

The tank is a 55g. Moderately planted, low tech, EC and black sand base.

Current inhabitants are: 7 longfin gold Danios, 9 neon tetras, 1 adult Bronze Cory, several baby MM Platies, and a few nerite snails.

Major PWCs performed twice a week. Tank is fully cycled four months.

Ideas? I'm attached to "Nemo" already.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

The retailer probably saw the same Cory swimming upside down prior to your arrival. I have yet to see one come back from that stage. Save your receipt and take him back if he passes.

I got a cardinal tetra with the same behaviour once, but she turned out happy and healthy!

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

You are going to willingly and knowingly add an unhealthy fish to your existing tank with out using a QT?
That is not a good choice for your existing fish.

They are Emerald Cories and retail here for $7.99 each.

Nemo is doing fine. There's a small red area on his head where the net probably caught him against the side of the tank.

I did watch them a bit before buying them and they were all swimming well.

All four are happily swimming away! Gary, the original lone Bronze Cory I got from my neighbor is being a tad less shy. I would have bought more Bronze Cories if I could have found some around here.

Thanks DCut!

I just fed them and Gary is actually out swimming with Nemo and the others! He seems so much happier. :)

You are going to willingly and knowingly add an unhealthy fish to your existing tank with out using a QT?
That is not a good choice for your existing fish.
My trusty 'ol LFS QTs fish for 5 weeks before purchase, and I'm sure the breeders he gets them from do the same. Quite a good LFS, the guy only takes fish from breeders and friends.

29 gallon community

They are Emerald Cories and retail here for $7.99 each.

Nemo is doing fine. There's a small red area on his head where the net probably caught him against the side of the tank.

I did watch them a bit before buying them and they were all swimming well.

All four are happily swimming away! Gary, the original lone Bronze Cory I got from my neighbor is being a tad less shy. I would have bought more Bronze Cories if I could have found some around here.

Good to hear, glad they're fine!

29 gallon community

Cories at my LFS are $5.00 each.

29 gallon community

Back
Top Bottom