Help: Fish with curved spine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I have had platys for about a year now. Today morning, while feeding, I noticed one of them to be bent and at the top of the tank. He seems not to be eating and I am worried that he'll recover.

Also a quick google search has now worried that this might be an indicator of some sort of an infection. Please help me asap.

I really hate to watch this fish suffer for hours. So if he's not going to recover, should I euthanize him?

Edit: I also noticed a whitish spot on the nose of another platy now. Might be a wound or could this also be an infection. I can take a pic of this and post it if needed

Google drive link for a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NcZPFb1O3R-rGTRqPGUAdooZOL3g8SmC/view?usp=sharing

To me it looks like swim bladder disease, is caused by an underlying condition, the main causes are overfeeding, which can lead to constipation, also feeding from the surface they can gulp down some air. Enlarged organs or even an infection can cause this, also pay attention to the temperature of the tank. I personally would move said fish to a smaller tank, with very low flow, not to high of a water level, keep water temperature at 78-80°F. add some aquarium salt and stress coat, and use fast sinking pellets, also try cooking and skinning a pea, you may have to hand feed it at first

The white spots could be the start of ick. Ick can be very hard to tackle once found better to start treatments right away, super ick treatment API works very well, I would also use some stress coat, and Melafix I use all API brand watch out for fun and tail rot also mouth rot. Check water parameters daily.

To me it looks like swim bladder disease, is caused by an underlying condition, the main causes are overfeeding, which can lead to constipation, also feeding from the surface they can gulp down some air. Enlarged organs or even an infection can cause this, also pay attention to the temperature of the tank. I personally would move said fish to a smaller tank, with very low flow, not to high of a water level, keep water temperature at 78-80°F. add some aquarium salt and stress coat, and use fast sinking pellets, also try cooking and skinning a pea, you may have to hand feed it at first

I did move it to another container yesterday. The fish seems fine now. It doesn't has that curved body now and is straight. I will check if it eats and if not, I'll trying feeding it a pea.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom