Help!! Fungus on fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abanana513

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have an Oscar and it was my sisters that she kept in a nasty small tank for five years. Obviously, it had gotten huge in five years and she didn't want it anymore so I moved it to my house and cleaned up the tank. We were looking to get a 75 gallon for it in the next few days but now I've noticed this fluffy white fungus looking stuff on its body. I added salt and upped the temperature but it doesn't seem to be helping. Someone please tell me what this is and how to get rid of it before my poor Oscar does :( I attached a pic!

image-982916192.jpg

It may not be not fungus. Fish usually don't get fungus. Fungus is very fluffy and stringy. Its probably a common bacterial disease that affects the mouth, gills, and grows on skin. Flexibacter Columnaris. Salt will not help nor will increasing the temperature, that would be for Ick or other parasites, this is bacterial. Depending on where you live i would look into Maracyn-2 (minocycline) or Kanamycin or also one called Terramycin (oxytetracycline hydrocloride) The latter is usually found in medicated feed. I would just turn the temp down and not feed and keep water clear and look into getting the macaryn-2. Since hes a big guy you could try to take him out and swab with hydrogen peroxide to get it off his skin. Minocycline and terramycin are not meant for hard water with alot of calcium and minerals tho, so you might look for the kanamycin which works well for me and works in hard and/or salt water. Kanaplex is what it might be listed under might be in a small bottle. Dont bother with the other meds, most of them don't work. Columnaris, Aeromonas and Pseudomonas are all Gram negative rod shaped bacteria that are tough to kill.

Hi, I have an Oscar and it was my sisters that she kept in a nasty small tank for five years. Obviously, it had gotten huge in five years and she didn't want it anymore so I moved it to my house and cleaned up the tank. We were looking to get a 75 gallon for it in the next few days but now I've noticed this fluffy white fungus looking stuff on its body. I added salt and upped the temperature but it doesn't seem to be helping. Someone please tell me what this is and how to get rid of it before my poor Oscar does :( I attached a pic!

Fishes get sick just like people friend. Especially if conditions change rapidly (like moving from one tank to another). Just keep the water clean and feed it a good diet and that mucus will go away.

Back
Top Bottom