Help! Goldfish predicament!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoony7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have two goldfish and a carp that were previously in a 10 gallon tank. I decided to upgrade their tank as they were outgrowing it so I bought a new 20 gallon tank, new gravel, and along the way found another goldfish that got thrown into this new 20 gallon tank. The first week was good, everyone got along fine and there were no troubles.

Soon I began noticing my carp was swimming sporadically and twitching slightly. Then one of my goldfish started getting red splotches around where his fins sprout out from. Then the goldfish was twitching too. Then the carp had a few red spots but not as bad as the other goldfish. The third goldfish remained perfectly fine with no effects. The new goldfish seemed to be fairing fine. Then the troubled goldfish with splotches got red veins in his tail, and I knew something was seriously up. The carp also had a bit of red splotching in his tail too. So I began looking out much closer for them. Then my new goldfish died and I rushed out to get my water tested. They said everything seemed fine but to go ahead and change half the tank. I pulled the three out and put them in my 10 gallon tank in new water while i figured out what was wrong with the 20 gallon tank. I bought some parasite tablets and sent those into the tank hoping those would help with red patches. I bought my own water testers and my nitrates were a little high in the 20 gallon, so I pulled half of it out and replaced it. Nitrates went down to an acceptable level. I’ve never had problems with these guys being so strange. After returning them to the 20 gallon they seem okay but the carp was twitching again. I used the same water they always receive; natural spring water jugs

They have been with me for nearly 8 years and have made it through a house move and tank change before, as well as several room changes.

Sounds like ammonia poisoning. What is your ammonia?

Even if ammonia is good, its likely that at some point in the past they werent. Ammonia poisoning is a long term thing and your tank may have since cycled and not show any ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom