Help! Grey patches on gills!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bifuran was put in the QT tank and then I moved her to the main tank because she was appearing very stressed. I was worried if this was a bacterial infection that it may have already infected my other fish so I dosed with the maracyn plus. I'm very close with one member of the lfs I go to and he assured me that he has used this in his own tanks with no issues and I'm praying this is how it's going to go. I'm going to do a large water change Monday. As of right now 0 ammonia or nitrites. If after 2 doses she does not appear better I will QT..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bifuran was put in the QT tank and then I moved her to the main tank because she was appearing very stressed. I was worried if this was a bacterial infection that it may have already infected my other fish so I dosed with the maracyn plus. I'm very close with one member of the lfs I go to and he assured me that he has used this in his own tanks with no issues and I'm praying this is how it's going to go. I'm going to do a large water change Monday. As of right now 0 ammonia or nitrites. If after 2 doses she does not appear better I will QT..

Alight, it's a plan. Hoping it works out for you.

I came across enough references to it causing trouble that I would keep up the ammonia testing as you are doing. My experience has been the older/more mature the tank, the less likely meds will be an issue. At 6 months a tank is well established although I think it needs to go through a winter and summer to really know.

The whole idea with a QT is to remove badly infected fish before they can spread further infection in your main tank. This removes all the risk of killing good bacteria, plants and accidentally other fish with the meds. Your other fish may or may not be infected but I can guarantee having an infected fish in DT is a good way to spread the infection through the same school and then other fish. I'll climb off the soap box now and again wish you luck with what is hopefully a bacterial infection.

Still 0,0 on readings which is good. No fish in distress everyone acting normally.

In a QT tank, if not established, how do you avoid cycling and putting the fish in more harms way?

Still 0,0 on readings which is good. No fish in distress everyone acting normally.

In a QT tank, if not established, how do you avoid cycling and putting the fish in more harms way?

Grand news :) Fingers crossed.

In my display tank I keep some spare ceramic filter noodles/rings either in a secondary mechanical filter or in a small mesh bag below the main canister filter outlet. If you have a canister you could always keep some in there (my canister is tucked away in a cupboard under the tank and is a pain to get out).

In most hob, internal or canister filters I find I can jam some extra media in but a small mesh bag of media can usually be tucked away somewhere (as long as getting some water flow).

When you need the QT, just pinch the spare media from the DT and set up the QT filter with that. The DT won't be impacted with the small amount of media gone.

I like using the rings for the greater surface area but sponge is another option.

I have tried things like ammonia reducing zeolite or ammonia ion resin exchange products but these can soak up meds so I tend not to use them or as only as an extra precaution on ammonia if I have bought some new fish and and am quarantining them from DT for a few weeks.

Hope this helps.

Example of the rings below (ignore price!).

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4774&catID=9

Back
Top Bottom