HELP! Guppy with red spots on tail and dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda1919

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
My*guppy*has a couple red spots on the end of his tail, he also seems to be swimming in distress and has lost most the color in his tail. Almost like his tail has gotten extra thin. Its a 10 gal tank with 6*guppies, snail and 3 small little bottom feeders. The tank is*cycled*and has been doing great for a while now. I checked all the levels and everything is great. This fish is pretty new to the tank. We got him about 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any idea what this maybe? I put some melafix in there today thinking maybe*fin rot*but im really new to this. Thanks

1-What type of fish is afflicted? Male guppy, red spots on tail, swimming in distress at top of water. Wont eat.
2~What are your tank parameters ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20, temp 80, pH 7.5
3~ How large is the tank? 10 gal How long has the tank been set up? 6 or more months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Aqua clear
5~How many fish are in the tank? 9 What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 6 guppies, 3 dwarf corys
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Saturday How often do you do this? Pretty much every weekend How much water do you remove at a time? 20-30%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had rhe fish for 2.5 weeks
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Attachments

• 20200909_184423.jpg
    20200909_184423.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200909_184418.jpg
    20200909_184418.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 58
Possibly fin rot. There are meds you can purchase either at your local pet store, or online. I read fin rot is often caused by poor water conditions, but yours seems fine. I'm no expert at water conditions. All I can say is perhaps add a pinch of aquarium salt if they seem stressed, and meds.

If it's fin rot it needs to be treated with some type of antibiotic. Melafix and Pimafix are good preventative meds, but more like a topical antiseptic then a cure. Once your fish has a fungal or bacterial infection they don't do much.

Back
Top Bottom