HELP!! High ammonia and ich :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loachlover101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I'm new to the forum so if I don't make things clear enough just ask:)!
So I recently (about two weeks ago) upgraded to a 60gal freshwater tank from my 20gal tank ive had for about a year (finally..).
I had 11 fish that were in my old tank into the new tank right away (huge mistake number 1).
Those being:
3 Clown Loaches
2 Tiger Barbs
3 Orange barbs
1 Pleco
1 Tangerine Discuc
1 Peacock Eel

Everything seemed fine and my fish looked and acted very happy to have a big new home to live in. Being naive I went and bought a school of Rummy nose tetres (15 to be exact) and 1 black ghost knife...
I didnt think anything was wrong with my new tank because I did everything right when starting the new tank (except allow time to start a cycle efore adding fish :banghead:)
-I added all of the water from my 20gal tank into the new tank along with the gravel (without rinsing/cleaning it) and put parts of my old filter with good media on it inside of my new tank.

It wasnt until 14 of 15 of my Rummy nose tetras died within 3 days that i new something was up..
So I got my water tested at a local fish store to find i had high ammonia in my tank. So with their advice I bought the Fluval brand 3 day bacteria treatment for my tank.
Being very concerned I got my water tested every few days to see if there was any progress (I know it isnt an instant cure but i was worried...)
No progress was really showing until i went about 4 days later, which then the test showed that the ammonia was breaking down into nitrate/nitrite now.

I bought some moss and two potted plants since they are known to absorb ammonia and have been feeding my fish once a day everyother day to try and reduce the amount of waste in the tank.

Now for the WORST part... My tank has now contracted ich.. and the only fish that have been infected so far are my BELOVED LOACHES!! 2 out of 3 of them died and I was so upset. I went and bought "Ich-Attack" since it is organic and is safer for scaleless fish (since i have loaches, an eel, and the ghost knife).
I took out the Carbon filters but havnt done any water changes because i dont want to stress the fish even more.
I also have raised my temp to 86 degrees but refuse to add salt because of the scaleless fish in my tank.

My new ghost knife seems fine, and doesnt have ich. neither does my eel or any other fish. Ive been 1 1/2 dosing the ich-attack since it isnt strong and reviews i''ve read have said to double dose.

Its day 3 of using "ich attack" and my surviving loach looks much better and isnt hiding as much anymore.

My tank is now clouding a bit (which i assume is the cycle starting or the affect of the carbon not being in my filter).
BTW i have a 404 Fluval filter (the older model).

Also, 1 out of 15 of my rummy noses are still alive! He has survived 4 days on his own and has a bright pink face (that i assume means the water quality is getting better).

Please give any advice you may have! I cant bare to loose another fish (especially my last loach! :( :( :( ) HELP!!i
I uploaded a Video (sorry for the bad quality its taken with my ipad).

Ok, so I'm new to the forum so if I don't make things clear enough just ask:)! So I recently (about two weeks ago) upgraded to a 60gal freshwater tank from my 20gal tank ive had for about a year (finally..). I had 11 fish that were in my old tank into the new tank right away (huge mistake number 1). Those being: 3 Clown Loaches 2 Tiger Barbs 3 Orange barbs 1 Pleco 1 Tangerine Discuc 1 Peacock Eel Everything seemed fine and my fish looked and acted very happy to have a big new home to live in. Being naive I went and bought a school of Rummy nose tetres (15 to be exact) and 1 black ghost knife... I didnt think anything was wrong with my new tank because I did everything right when starting the new tank (except allow time to start a cycle efore adding fish :banghead:) -I added all of the water from my 20gal tank into the new tank along with the gravel (without rinsing/cleaning it) and put parts of my old filter with good media on it inside of my new tank. It wasnt until 14 of 15 of my Rummy nose tetras died within 3 days that i new something was up.. So I got my water tested at a local fish store to find i had high ammonia in my tank. So with their advice I bought the Fluval brand 3 day bacteria treatment for my tank. Being very concerned I got my water tested every few days to see if there was any progress (I know it isnt an instant cure but i was worried...) No progress was really showing until i went about 4 days later, which then the test showed that the ammonia was breaking down into nitrate/nitrite now. I bought some moss and two potted plants since they are known to absorb ammonia and have been feeding my fish once a day everyother day to try and reduce the amount of waste in the tank. Now for the WORST part... My tank has now contracted ich.. and the only fish that have been infected so far are my BELOVED LOACHES!! 2 out of 3 of them died and I was so upset. I went and bought "Ich-Attack" since it is organic and is safer for scaleless fish (since i have loaches, an eel, and the ghost knife). I took out the Carbon filters but havnt done any water changes because i dont want to stress the fish even more. I also have raised my temp to 86 degrees but refuse to add salt because of the scaleless fish in my tank. My new ghost knife seems fine, and doesnt have ich. neither does my eel or any other fish. Ive been 1 1/2 dosing the ich-attack since it isnt strong and reviews i''ve read have said to double dose. Its day 3 of using "ich attack" and my surviving loach looks much better and isnt hiding as much anymore. My tank is now clouding a bit (which i assume is the cycle starting or the affect of the carbon not being in my filter). BTW i have a 404 Fluval filter (the older model). Also, 1 out of 15 of my rummy noses are still alive! He has survived 4 days on his own and has a bright pink face (that i assume means the water quality is getting better). Please give any advice you may have! I cant bare to loose another fish (especially my last loach! :( :( :( ) HELP!!i I uploaded a Video (sorry for the bad quality its[QUOTE= oh my... Well first off the stocking issue, your fairly overstocked. Clown loaches and the black ghost will out grow your tank. Black ghosts need at least over 200 gallons. Ghost knifes get like well over a foot. Clowns need I think like 125 or so, may be a little too low. Tiger barbs need schools of 5+, more in my opinion but 5 is the absolute bare minimum. If the pleco you have is a common type he'll need at least 150 gallons. Now on to your ich. Very good job in getting scaleless fish safe cure, raising your temp and not putting salt in! Your treatment will work and it will go away with time. You need to do a couple pretty large water changes to make sure all ammonia is gone once the ich is cleared. Once you get ich and ammonia taken care of I suggest rehoming the knife and loach. Also I know nothing about peacock eels so I can't say anything about them.

Thank you for the quick reply!
I know that the loaches and knife get big and I am prepared to give them away once they get bigger.. But for now they are here to stay... Lol

But I have another question.
- if the water temperature is 86 degrees and I do massive water changes won't the temperature change be bad for the fish?

Thank you for the quick reply! I know that the loaches and knife get big and I am prepared to give them away once they get bigger.. But for now they are here to stay... Lol But I have another question. - if the water temperature is 86 degrees and I do massive water changes won't the temperature change be bad for the fish?
ok first off sorry about my post, I have no clue why it did that. If you can manage to get it equal then no it will have no effect other than slightly stressing but IMO a water change is needed. Try taking out your thermometer and placing it in wherever your new water it and try to get it as close to 86 as you can. If you can't or don't think you can do this then don't. Once the ich clears up however do a very large water change.

Sorry for all the questions... But should I vacuum the gravel when I do water changes or should I just simply take out water (since bacteria hasn't built up enough in my filter).

Sorry for all the questions... But should I vacuum the gravel when I do water changes or should I just simply take out water (since bacteria hasn't built up enough in my filter).
your fine! I'm here to answer them all! You should vacuum it. Now there's a link somewhere on, I have fish in my tank but didn't cycle and what to do then. I'll see if I can't find it for you. If anyone out there has it it will be very helpful!

Thank you for the replies!
Is there anything else you would recommend?
I'm not new to having tanks but this is the first time I've had this problem! :(
Thanks again and any further advice is appreciated :) (from anyone and everyone!) :)

Another thing get some prime water conditioner and do a 4x tank volume dose daily until you can do your water change. It will make your water less toxic for your fish by binding up ammo and nitrite and nitrate into a less toxic form for 24 hours. It will still be in an available form for your bb to use.

Okay, I actually have some of that. So do 4x the normal dose for my tank?

Okay, Thank you.
And i caught the Ich early on and it hasnt affected any other fish besides my loach. I raised the temp. in the tank so that the parasite dies quicker and doesnt latch on to any one else.
Ive been keeping up with the Ich-attack treatment everyday and wont stop until its completely gone and a few more days after that.
Thanks for the reply, and all the advice is appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom