Help: I Just Got a New Betta And He Is having Trouble Swimming!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awww he is so gorgeous. I noticed in your link you said something about giving him to a friend? Maybe they can give him what he needs to get better.

She has less money than I do. I just bought the fish for her as a 'gift' I guess. She has the most basic stuff for betta care and no more than that. If I can treat him without messing with the temp than maybe I can get it to work...

What does it mean if the spots fall off and don't come back. he lost one spot today and one yesterday and doesn't have any new ones... is he ok? I change the water right after the spots fell off.

i don't know much about ich but i do know when the water parameters aren't optimal fish are more susceptible to disease and parasites. you said that the tank you put him in was cycled, but then stated that you do not have a test kit. how are you sure that the tank was cycled? how did you cycle it?

i also do know that if the ich spots are no longer on him they can be in the tank in the gravel and such. i would continue with treatment for a week or so after symptoms to make sure all the ich in the tank is gone then make sure to give the tank a good vacuuming and water change.

gorgeous betta, btw :D i hope he gets better

I haven't used any meds yet. I got Quick Cure today though! I found some!

How often do you do water changes? It takes longer to cycle with fish than without. Also, unless you know your levels you can't really know for sure if it has cycled or not. Also, depending on whether or not and how often you do water changes, you could have super high levels of ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte which can stress your fish out more, making them more susceptible to diseases such as ich. It also shortens their lives if they survive the levels, and is very painful for them.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Well I have had my betta in that tank for about 2 months and I didn't know when I started about cycling. :C So I think it should be cycled now. I change the water once a week now. 50 % - When I think its icky.

Keep doing what you are doing right now, and if you don't see any more spots on him in the nest few days, then he should be okay. Only use the QuICK Cure if you see more. When I used QC, I only had to treat for 3 days. I did a pwc and a gravel cleaning every day before dosing again too.

Alright I will clean his water again and get him set up. IF he shows more spots.

Dk, should we change the water with anything we put in it? Like that stress coat stuff? I am changing water every day, but I only plan to dose that every other day...

Hmmm I would - So that the meds and supplements are stronger and work better. :D

How often do you feed him? He looks bloated like mine was. Their tummies are only the size of their eyeball.

Honestly he looks like he is curving more to me. I suggest you read that link on fish TB

Curved or Crooked Spine Skeletal deformity.
Lesions on the body.
loss of scales.
Loss of appetite.
Body wasting Progressive thinness.
Dis-coloration.
Sluggish movement
Folded fins
Eye protrusion
Dark coloration and granular appearance of the cornea.
Hanging at the surface
Skin defects, including blood spots and open wounds that may ulcerate
Black spots, or overall dark coloration (in Cichlids particularly).
Aquarium FD - Fish Tuberculosis (Curved Spine) - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

I don't think its that. Besides I think the spine thing is like the very last symptom from what I have read.

Which I have no idea what caused that. He doesn't seem to ill aside from the ick stuff nothing like the TB. Fish with it look just horrible too.

Back
Top Bottom