Help: I Just Got a New Betta And He Is having Trouble Swimming!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betta fry sometimes develop bent spines as they mature. It might be a genetic thing or possibly the result of poor water or food quality. There's usually not much you can do other than keep them in shallow water if they have trouble swimming, or cull them if they seem to be suffering.

If the betta is an adult who has never had this problem before, it might possibly be related to constipation. Sometimes they float or swim strangely when constipated. Is her tummy swollen? If so, try fasting for a few days or give her a small piece of pea. It could also be some sort of swim bladder infection, which will either make them float too much or too little and have trouble swimming.

I'm no expert, but I've owned quite a few bettas and those are my first thoughts.
courtesy of betta fish - bent spine - Straight Dope Message Board

I just found this from googling it. Could just be genetic. Was it like that when you got it?

Also, I did notice that your betta does appear to be bloated. Maybe you should try the pea thing, and see if it helps any.

Your betta actually looks really good SP! His swim bladder looks normal, and he doesn't look bloated to me, but it's hard to tell from looking at that angle. You can see better from a side shot.
I don't think he has TB, all of my fish look like that alot, and ESPECIALLY right after I brought them home, since they were in those tiny cups.
SP, make sure you are doing a pwc every day, and even when you get your cycle going again, change 25-50% at least twice a week. I had the same tank for my betta. But if I remember right, this is his QT tank, and his other one is bigger?
You should have seen 2 of my bettas when I first brought them home! The poor babies. :( They couldn't even straighten their bodies in the cup, and they were being fed goldfish food.
I feed my bettas each 3 pellets, twice a day, and one day of the week, one round of pellets gets substituted with the boiled peas.

He looks pretty good actually! I do see his swim bladder a little inflamed in the last pic, and you could try the boiled peas. Boil some frozen peas in the microwave for 3 mins, rinse with cold water, pop the middle out onto a spoon, mush it, then feed. If he won't take it, you can try putting it on the end of a toothpick, but make sure you cut the pointy end off first. :)
He is SUCH a pretty guy!

Should I try the boiled peas again? I only fed him for a couple days. I think I even missed a feeding yesterday.

Here I figured out his eating Schedule... I did this the whole Time I had him,

22nd - No Food
23rd - Pea
24th - No Food
25th - Pea
26tj - 3 Pellets
27th -2 Pellets
28th - 3 Pellets

So Should he really have an issue? I mean he only ate for three days straight... Thats not normal... And I don't think the swelling has gone down a ton. His gills are moving rapidly again today - I think he is breathing heavily.

Looks like he is breathing anywhere from 60 - 70 times per minute. :O ( I mean gill movements) He isn't gasping at the surface at all...

Its Fresh water and has been declorinated and the ph is fine too.

Like I said before, you need to be diong 50% watetr changes once a day at least. Especially if you don't have a kit or know what your levels are.

I don't have a test kit so unless it was in the water when I put him in than no... The water was fresh...

I just put the water in a couple hours ago. I have been good about changes - Once or even twice a day for sure. My other betta (Who uses the same water) Is perfectly fine.

Ok. Ammonia builds up in the water. Do you even use prime? You need to give him clean fish water. That means no chlorine, use prime it binds the ammonia and whatnot to make it less toxic.

The ammonia, etc is going to build up in the tank. That is why you need to change the water EVERY day at least 50%. You need a test kit asap as well or you will never know when the water is good.

I just put fresh water in though. My other fish has no problems with it whatsoever... so doesn't this mean its not the water? My other fish is fine. Its just the sicky one that has problems...

I guess I will have to get some later My ma isn't going to take me back to the store for the third day in a row.

Just keep his water clean. The reason he is having problems is because he is weak from the sickness. He will get better. :) Make sure you use dechlorinator and make the water the same temp every time.

Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish

how much water did you change? if the ammonia was at 1ppm and did 50% wc then there still .5ppm ammonia. a test kit is essential to help know whats going on. just like when you go to the doc they test you blood pressure body temp and so forth. you have to know the basics to go on from there. since they cant talk to have to go one step at a time until you figure it out.

Thats true - I Guess I will have to get a test kit soon. I Do check ph and water temp everytime. But I think it really is the fish - Cause like I said my other boy is fine.

I'll have to hit up walmart when I get a chance... But For now what all can I do?

your LFS most likely will test the water for you if you bring them a sample. if they are using strips, take the results lightly as strips are notoriously inaccurate. if they are using the drops, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom