Help i resealled my tank and now half my fish ate dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candiceg

Aquarium Advice Freak
I resealled my tank with silicon 1 after looking it up on the Internet and multiple sources said this was great to use. It cured for 2 and a half days now half my fish have died suddenly. What should I do!

I used ge silicon 1. But I learned after the fact that it contained mold an mildew resistant stuff in it even though it isn't listed on the tube. I lost all my fish.

You could cut it all out and use 100% silicone. Not much you can really do.

I already removed the silicone. Be careful if you reseal your tank the silicone I used did say 100% silicone. I'm resealing it with silicone made by all glass aquariums just to be safe.

How do you know it contained mold inhibitors if it wasn't labeled as such? Could be a number of other issues. Mini cycle with a spike in ammonia, silicone didn't fully cure, etc.

I am sorry this happened! :(

I have read numerous reports from people that experienced the same results after using this product. At one time, it was considered aquatic safe. On the label, you may see some designation that it contains 'Bioseal'. Its a mold/mildew inhibitor but as its protected by patent law, there is no disclosure of its ingredients.

Additionally, an ingredient was added to hasten curing and drying time called 'hexamethyldisilazane' ( MSDS: Grainger MSDS Lookup ). This ingredient is a known toxin with longterm and fatal effects to aquatic life that affects the CNS, major organ systems and releases ammonia within living tissue. The MSDS for this ingredient is listed below.

I have seen some people swear by GE1200 silicone (not all though!) but I personally would spend the extra cash and purchase a silicone from a lfs that is produced specifically for aquatic use only.

hexamethyldisilazane MSDS: http://www.fishersci.ca/viewmsds.do?catNo=AC120581000

GE Silicone I comes in several types including one in a predominantly blue tube, that says "Windows and Doors". Never use any silicone that says "Kitchens and Bathrooms" or "Tub and Tile". GE I is an acetic acid cure (hence the vinegar smell), and GE II is an ammonia cure. GE 1200 is a stronger formula than GE I and is used by tank manufacturers, and would be my choice for a large tank, and comes in black.
There are numerous house brands available, (probably manufactured by GE) that say "Safe for Aquariums" on the label and cost less than GE I. The brand I have right now comes in a 3 pack for $10. You can opt for the same product at triple the price if you so desire, with the name of an aquatic supplier on it.
I wouldn't risk using GE II even though some have claimed success with it.

I used ge silicone 1 for kitchens and bath. Tube did not state mold inhibitors or bioseal. But when I googled the UPC it stated mold and mildew resistant. I got two tubes made by marine land for 12 each worth every penny after what I've been through.

The tube of GE I for Kitchens and Baths I have states clearly on the front that it is mildew resistant. It may say Marineland on the label, but I would bet they didn't make it. Regardless, if it makes you more secure, that is the main thing.
Out of curiosity how big is the tank? One tube is more than enough to do most tanks.

Back
Top Bottom