Help! I think my fish have ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckbeagler

Aquarium Advice Newbie

:cry: Help I think my fish have ick!
In my tank I have
2 barbs
6 tetras
2 platies
3 mollies
2 coys
1 dwarf frog

i had three platies but one has already died. my barbs and tetras have white specks on them. What do I do? I was told that I can not use ick away on tetras or my frog. Is this true? Someone who knows about this stuff please help me out. I am very new to this aquarium thing and I would like to keep the rest of my fish alive and healthy.
Thanks

[center:7696fe1d4d] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, redneckbeagler! :n00b: [/center:7696fe1d4d]

There is an article on FW ich in the articles section. There is a suggestion for a natural treatment of 86F water and salt. I don't know about frogs and what they can tolerate and I know cories are not fond of high temps, but many members have used that method and the cories have done well.
If you need more help--ask!

BTW--I am moving this to the unhealthy fish forum.

Welcome to AA.com redneckbeagler :D :D

Check in the articles section on this site to learn of the different possibilities to treat ick. Read that first, and then post your follow-up questions after that. We'll be here! Also, if you can, post a pic for us so we can verify that you have ick. If you got your info from a lfs, especially a mass chain one, they aren't always the most educated. Come here instead 8)

White specks sounds like ick definitley, but we need to make sure first. Your med question is partially true with the dwarf frogs. I know when I medicate at WalMart...the frogs don't always like the medicine that I use sometimes...so when I do a whole system treatment, I ususally have to shut the filter off in their tank.

But..sometimes I don't and they have lived just fine :wink: they seem to get a little irritated by it, but have never lost any to it I don't think.... Heat and salt should do the trick though in my opinion, that is the way I would go. Good luck!

...Depends on the type of cory. some are listed with an upper range of 79 and others with an upper range of 82. I put 4 different species of "spotted" cories (all with various temp endurance) through ich treatment at 87 degrees fahrenheit for 2 weeks.

My other fish with an upper range of 78-79 did fine as well but those who can handle up to 84 degrees and were semi-aggressive became very aggressive at those temps (those were my loaches)

I think you'd be okay if you treated your tank with some meds, but I don't know anything about the frog and how it'd react. I've used rid ich on tetra's before and they were fine (except for one which was severely infected with ich). Beware though if you have a glass tank, becuase rid ich will stain the silicone in the corners. If I was you, I'd put the frog in some sort of bowl for the time being and medicate your fish.

BTW, you'd want to remove whatever filter media you have in the tank because if not, it'll absorb most of the medication and not do much for the fish.

BTW, how big is your tank and was it cycled? I remember having ich problems when I just got into the fish hobby. It's a pain in the butt, but once you get the hang of it you'll love it much more than you already do.

Back
Top Bottom