Help! Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My oscar has been very inactive lately, he hasn't been eating and he's just hiding behind my deco or resting on it. I've tested the water a few times and my pH has been around 7-8, ammonia 0, nitrate 0-0.25, nitrite 0-5 and I keep the temperature at 78 degrees. I've been doing water changes like crazy to try and keep the nitrates down.

He's been acting like this for about 3 days and I just recently noticed some white spots on him that look like salt. (Ick??) Here are some pictures, also sorry for the bad phone quality. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402623312.636292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402623326.290569.jpg

Looks like could be ick. I've not had much luck saving fish once they stop eating. I wish you luck. I would treat for ick and stay on top of the daily pwc's

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, that is ICK. 1. Slowly raise the temp to 86 degrees F. 2. keep it there for 2 weeks. 3. Aerate. Perform lots of PWCs, ... every other day and vacuum the substrate. That should do it. Keep those NITRITES down.

Thank you for your quick replies! Would you guys recommend any medications? I've already started to slowly raise the temp, and I'll be sure to be on top of pwc's!

Thank you for your quick replies! Would you guys recommend any medications? I've already started to slowly raise the temp, and I'll be sure to be on top of pwc's!
I recommend absolutely NO medications for ICH.

For Velvet - yes
For Ich - no

Back
Top Bottom