help ick? fungus? what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nejsux

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed today that one of my danios had what appeared to be a blister hanging out of his mouth. :( It was like a bubble, and he was more active than usual. He ate fine, but now I got homw from work and its like whitish stringy substance in his mouth. It appears to come out and then go back into his mouth. I got the best pic I could, but damios don't like to hold still for the camera. You should have seen me trying to net him. I put him in a quarantine tank. All the other fishies look healthy. Anyone know what it is?

Can't help you with a diagnosis, but I can totally empathise with you on catching and photographing. :) My danio is about the quickest thing I've ever seen. He's so fast...I have to chase him around for a few minutes until he gets tired of running, and then I think about netting him. Yours is pretty. I like the blue stripes on his side. Mine looks like a rainbow trout.

-j

Could you discribe the symptoms a little more? Like is he eating, does his body look it is starting to swell? Water conditions when you took him out?

He's eating fine, He's a chub, but i can't say i notice any swelling. The levels are ok. I checked them and theyre a bit elevated, but nothing drastic. its to be expected because I added the 3 new glass cats and a betta a little under a week ago. I used them to cycle the tank in the beginning so its nothing new to them. I just dont know. its like a mucous membrane looking thing coming from either the inside of his mouth or his stomach.

My first thought:

"mouth fungus" - which is actually bacterial in nature
Take a look on your favorite fish website :)

Back
Top Bottom