Help is this a parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The other day I noticed that my Ryukin had what looked like small spots on the inside of her tail fin. Its def not Whitespot as have had that before so know what it looks like. These looked more like skin tags. Was just 3 -4 on inside of tail fin. Today I've notice on small fins under belly v small white worm like thing hanging of them. Getting a pic was hard. She's acting normal no sign of ill health. Is this anchor worm?. I haven't introduced any new fish at all. Its established tank

Water tested this morn at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0-10 nitrate.

6 fancies in 465 litre. No one else has this. My only other problem at mo is one black moor has split in anal fin with greying area but told this will heal with good water quality.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1440201179826.jpg
    1440201179826.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1440201212149.jpg
    1440201212149.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 140
Look at underbelly fin the white line

My first guess would be anchor worm but I really cannot tell from the pics. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I haven't added any new fish and don't use live plants. Wonder how this got in. Could it be from frozen brimeshrimp or live food I feed occasionally. I'm doing a course of protozin and antifungal for my moors tail and just incase this it is ich. Today there's nothing there but looks like more salt type grains on back tail. Nothing on body and only Ryukin affected

Moors tail is def starting to heal.

Hard to get a pic werid looks more like ich today.

Attachments

• 1440231863958.jpg
    1440231863958.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 124
I started protozin course yesterday if its ich perhaps what I thought was a worm was ich parasite leaving body.

I started protozin course yesterday if its ich perhaps what I thought was a worm was ich parasite leaving body.

When the free swimming forms of Ich are released they are from what I understand too small to be seen with the naked eye. I don't think it is ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you see the little white spots on the fin. There's none on her body. No one else in tank is showing signs of this. Could anchor worm come in from live foods. As I haven't added any fish since last year. No live plants. I will keep an eye on her. Im going to water change Monday leave a week then see if I can get some treatment for anchor worm. I will stop with protozin. Only done one dose. The ant fungal in it will help my moors anal fin heal which I've seen almost instantly look better a day after adding anti fungal and Whitespot by water life

Could be anchor worm or lice?
Link on anchors;
Treating Common Fish Diseases: How to Treat Anchor Worms. – Water Garden Q & A

Posted on June 24, 2008 by thepondguy
QAwganchorpic.jpg

Q: Treating Common Fish Diseases: Anchor Worm
A: What are Anchor Worms? Anchor worms are small crustaceans that start out their life as free swimming and find a fish to burrow their way into. The anchor worm will bury themselves into the fish’s muscles where they live for several months while developing. After developing, they make their way out of the fish, a process that often leaves bad wounds. Right before the anchor worm dies, it will release its eggs. The cycle is then repeated over and over again.
What are the Symptoms of Anchor Worms? First off, an obvious sign is a very visible parasite attached to the body of the fish. In early stages, it will look like a red sore or pimple. The fish will also “flash” or try and scratch the parasite off its body by running itself into rocks.
What Causes Anchor Worm and How can I Treat It? Anchor Worms are not caused by high levels of fish stress. Fish are usually infected by newly added fish already carrying the parasite or newly added aquatic plants that have anchor worm larvae on them. Since Anchor Worms’ larvae are free swimming in the water garden, the whole body of water must be treated to get rid of future cases. This can be accomplished with Microbe-Lift® Lice & Anchor Worm. Microbe-Lift® Lice & Anchor Worm is specifically designed to treat Anchor Worms. Although Anchor worms are a parasite in many cases a secondary bacterial infection will occur due to the open soars. To help fight against this secondary infection it is recommended that PimaFix be added along with the Microbe-Lift® Lice & Anchor Worm.

Another quick link on fish lice/louse;
Lice Disease | Causes, Symptoms, Cure and Prevention
Hope these help.

Thanks for the info. But my Ryukin has no sores. However I had another good look at her tonight and its def not ich. The parasite is only affecting her back tail. No signs on body at mo. But its def more like a disc or white skin tag hangs of a bit. If I do a large water change tomorrow to get some of the protozin out. When do you think I could start a med for anchor worm and other parasites. Plan to drop into aquatic centre before work tomorrow see if I can get a muti parasite treatment. As I'm not 100% sure what it is.

Google images show an anchorworms what I see doesn't look quite the same.

This is an image from Google. My Ryukin doesn't look like this. Her parasite is more like a salt grain like ich but larger and hanging of back tail like a skin tag.

Attachments

• 1440282950146.jpg
    1440282950146.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 230
Its anchor worm. Spotted a worm with hook at end today. Think the parasite must be in process of leaving host. So going aquatic centre to get some treatment this morn. If I do a large water change later today how soon can I start a new med. Bearing in mind there is protozin in the water at mo. I only dosed twice and stopped treatment as realized not ich.

But did second doze y.day I will do a 75% water change to get a large amount of it out the water.

Its def anchor worm as looks like they have left the body and she has red sores on tail where they were hooked on. Got some tablets gona doze tank after a large water change.

Did large 75% water change. Took me ages. But doze 4 parazin tablets and some melafix. Il just keep an eye on them over the next week. Looking good tho.

Back
Top Bottom