Help. Losing my farlowella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He is pale and lying on some petite nana and looks not long for this world.

My tank did just to go through a mini-cycle, which had me doing small (three gallon on a 35 gallon tank) water changes twice a day... the ammonia is back down to 0. the nitrites are at .2, and I am doing 3 gallon changes once a day.

is this what is killing the cat, or are the nitrites slight enough so that this isn't his issue?

anything I can do tho save him?

How long was the ammonia up and at what levels did it get to? I'd do a slightly bigger water change, up to 50%. Pristine water is the first key to recovery of any illness. Does he have any white spots, black spots, red streaks by his gills? Does he look like he has been nipped by other fish? Any other symptoms that might help diagnose for sure. It could have been the ammonia depending on how high it got. How long have you had him and what do you feed him? And how often do you feed him? Tankmates? What are your nitrates at? Sorry for all the questions but to offer advice, we need more information.

the ammonia was only up for about a week, and it never got past .50, and I kept doing water changes to keep it closer to .25.

then the nitrites climbed, never higher than .8, but I did 3x a day then 2x a day then 1 x a day 3 gallon changes to keep it at .3 or below.

he has no marks or spots or bites or streaks. he was eating great until this morning.. mostly sinking algae wafers, peas, blanched zuccini .. he even went for a few live blood worms, which I thought weren't really in his diet.. but...

nitrates are 5
ammonia 0
nitrite still a lingering .2

phosphates a little high at 2

kh/gh 2/2

Is your temperature staying consistent? Did you check the temp of the water before you added it in during water changes?

IMO, .5 NH3 isn't high enough to kill, but if the farlowella was ailing or ill in the first place, it could have helped. How long have you had it? Could it just be his time to go? :(

The temp has crept up from 78 to 81 since it has been so warm in ny but the heat remains on at home, I've got the aquarium heater dialed down...

I've had him about 5 weeks.. he suffered thru the whole mini cycle.. which was never out of control, but was a few weeks of yuk if you add it all together.

I read that these catfish are very sensitive, but it kills me that he is so obviously near death just when the tank has found its equilibrium.

I believe that it is the mini cycle that is affecting him. They are sensitive fish and I wish I could tell you what would make him feel better. Do you have a tank you can put him in? QT might be the best and least stressful for him. Keeping the lights out may also help. I'd still do a larger water change, as soon as you can, JMO.

no qt tank, tiny apartment with two small boys... but I will do another water change and turn out he lights a bit. he is hanging in and none of the other tank mates seem to be bothering him.

thanks!!

he has disappeared. I am assuming dead, but i can't find the body.. anywhere.

no ammonia spike yet.. but I have really looked hard (short of pulling it all up ..

I will try again with these guys. I love the fish, but not until I am secure in my parameters.

Back
Top Bottom