Help Me, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my guppy fish, Cockatiel, has fin rot. He had a perfectly round tail when I got him about a month ago. Now his tail looks like something took a bite out of it. I haven't gotten new fish yet, so I'm wondering if it's possible that the stress of being alone caused it? I have a plan- but I wanted to get some input on the steps I plan to take.

1. Move his tank to a sturdier location (it's on top of my dresser and wobbles a little bit when I get into it, I think it may stress him out)
2. Check the water (My local pet store will check it for me if I bring in a sample)
3. Get medicine for him and dose it properly
4. Get tankmates as soon as I know everything is healthy.

Any advice on anything else on what else I should do?

I'm so worried.

Consider aquarium salt first and maybe temp increase, then a medication if that doesn’t work. Research it first, don’t just take my word. Keep the water super clean for a while.
When you get new fish, quarantine them in a different tank to ensure they’re healthy before possibly getting your boy sick again. Of course ensure he’s well first as well.

Probably not rot esp if it happened overnight. Do you have anything in the tank that he might have snagged it on ? Btw tails do grow back.

Back
Top Bottom