Help me please! Loosing eyes~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is something going on in my tank but I dont know what.I have been loosing fish to one thing.....there eyes disappear! I have lost about 6 fish in the past 3 wks due to this problem. I just noticed that one of my rainbows is missing an eye......lost a molly this morning....missing both eyes! But I have had problems with the mollies before and have had trouble with them for the past few weeks. What is causing this? Has anyone else had this problem????? I am so upset that one of my rainbows is probably go to the aquarium in the sky soon and I dont want to loose anymore fish. The tanks paramiters are perfect. I just dont get it. It scares me to look at him! Freaky!!! How does a fish just loose an eye. None of my fish fight and I look at them daily to make sure that everyone of them are free of spots or EYES for this matter lately! And yes it is in my 29 gallon tank too and not the qtank. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Missing eyes? Are the eyes completely gone, leaving an empty socket? Do you notice any unusual swelling of the eyes before they disappear? I'd keep a careful watch over your fish for the next few days to try to spot anything unusual.

Looking over the list of fish in your tank....the one suspect that immediately comes to mind is your 'Paradise Gourami'. Macropodus opercularis is a great fish but is well-known to be aggressive, especially in a community tank. I wouldn't put it beyond one cause some eye damage to other fish.

I also find myself wondering about the unidentified orange/gold fish. Can you describe it....or better yet....can you post a picture of it? I always get the willies when somebody tells me that they have a fish in their tank but don't have any idea what it is.

I had a Kribensis that was eating the eyes out of my cory cats. I would definitely want to know what the unknown fish is.

well the unidentified "goldfish"was a feeder fish rescued from my sister in laws piranha. He is actually a copper colored one and he never gets close to anyone.....In fact the other 2 goldfish that were in there...thats what happened to them. I have had one white tetra and several molllies but with the mollies they seem to have scales missing and eyes both missing.But that little so called goldfish he is in his own little world!lol As for the paradise fish I dont think that it is him. I watch them constantly and he isnt agressive to anyone unless he does it when the lights go out. But there has been now swelling or anything going on with the eye.....its the whole eye...just the whole where the eye used to be.But they all seem to get along very well. I took the pink kisser out because she was agressive to the white tetra. I've had te paradise fish for a long while and I have never had this problem before.I just keep watching. :cry:

Yikes! Missing eyes?!

Just a suggestion... taking how about out your paradise gourami and/or your unknown goldfish? If your problem continues then you would definitely know it's neither of them that are the problem, and then you could put them back.

I hope things get better for you soon!

Well the rainbow passed on and so far no one else has had any eye problems...knock on wood. I had bought 7 new tiger barbs and put them in the 29 gallon tank today to only see after they got in the tank.....they got ick! I guess they really get stressed easy.....this happed last time to me too. I dont want to go threw this all again! You would think that I would learn! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom