HELP ME PLEASE - respond asap!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/goldfish-as-a-gift-in-an-uncycled-tank-217889.html

I have the same problem as the above posting...

I am doing the slowly add large tank water into the small as suggested by another member and then repeat steps.....

This is a very long process with a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon...... im afraid i have little time to spare

My story in short: I have a enormous chocolate oranda and a medium size orange fantail in a 10 gallon - the chocolate is WAYYYY too big for that tank -

Both were started there a week ago in an UNCYCLED TANK!!!!

My orange starting failing first (just sits on the bottom) and my chocolate was healthy up until today - his head is at the bottom corner of tank and his body seems to be floating up - I'm FREAKING OUT!!! so don't want them to die

I've been cycling my 55 gallon for a day now or almost 24 hours - I added stress coat, Prime and 5 Teaspoons of aquarium salt - I have a an Aqua Clear filter for a 70 gallon running

What should i do Add fish now or will they die? or get shocked?

I've been reading constantly this week and getting mixed advice from pet stores - EVERYONE has a TOTALLLY different way - it's making me crazy

Everyone on line says water changes are key in a overcrowded tanks - but some pet stores tell me to stop and others say continue - so confused - Help me please!!!!!!!!

Do i add fish to 55 now or not??? they look so so sad

I would def add them to the 55 ASAP. You will need to keep a close eye on the parameters and change out water as needed, but they won't live long in that tiny tank. Good luck!

thank you so much for responding so quickly! - so add prime and stress coat right? I have to go out and buy test kit when store opens I don't have one

So it's ok to put fish in now even if I don't float them (dont have a bag) but I did add some 55 gallon water to the 10 (cup every 10 min) but i'm not done yet....... still add them to 55 now?

thanks so much

Please give as much advice as you can while they're in the 55 gallon - I what to do and when to do it - thank you!!!!!!! so much!

In an emergency I don't worry about floating. I had a cichlid that looked near death the other day- I reached in and scooped him out of his tank with my bare hands and plopped him straight into another tank. He was a goner if I left him any longer, so I had to try. He brightened up and was back to normal in a few hours.

I don't know anything about stress coat, so I can't say. Your fish will be suffering from ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of the water in your 55. It HAS to be an improvement on the 10g.
Keep the tank dark and don't feed for the first day and see how they go. I don't think you can change too much water- just be sure to add the prime and NO more salt and keep an eye on them in case they take a turn for the worse.
I'm sure you'll get more useful replies from experienced goldfish keepers soon :)

Ok - they're in ........ sitting at the bottom - but they're in. I tried to attach my other filter from the 10 gallon to my 55 gallon - but it doesn't fit - i was told the bacteria in the filter will help cycle the tank ...... i read somewhere else that someone took the filter sponge/charcoal and added to tank directly? - is this true?

My old filter is way different than my aqua clear - it just has one sponge thing and the charcoal is in it - not like 3 separate pieces like the aquaclear.

what should i do with old filter? thanks

my chocolate oranda is such a gentle giant (his body alone is the size of a baseball or larger) - i feel so bad - he looks so sad....... I really really hope they both pull through - I am looking forward to everyone's responses - your advice is much much appreciated - thank you all!

Throw the 10 gal filter media into your new filter or shake it out into the new tank, it will def help speed up the cycle

This is all new to me - i'm sorry if I sound so dumb....... do you mean the sponge thing that has charcoal in it? it's a quiet flow 20 filter --- you want me to put that in the water of my 55 tank? I already poured the filter water in the tank.

Like I said before I have a 70 gallon aquaclear running for almost 24 hrs in tank and I was considering buying another filter for the other side of the tank another aquaclear but smaller - good idea? and I have a stone wand and hose but no air pump yet - the pump i got said it was good for up to 30-40 gallons (is that ok to use?) or do i buy the bigger one? thanks

Ok i just put the plastic filter cartridge with filter mesh thing that has charcoal in it - in the tank - it's just leaning on the side on bottom - good?

Ok i just put the plastic filter cartridge with filter mesh thing that has charcoal in it - in the tank - it's just leaning on the side on bottom - good?
Yep! Give it a shake so it gets distributed around the tank, sucked into the filter and all that jazz..

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!

I'm staring at them in the new tank which has obviously clearer water and the sun shined in it from across the room and I'm pretty sure the have ICH!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh - so now my new tank has ICH right? - oh my goodness what now???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

API super ICk cure? - is that good?........ does this mean my fish are going to die??????? and now is my tank ruined?

my orange fantail has red streaks in her tail too... i didn't notice this before - but then again the lighting is better in their new room....... ugh! please help!

Relax, red streaks could be ammonia issues, what are the tank parameters, have you tested today?

lots of tinnie tiny white spots on chocolate oranda's tail and red streaks on orange fantail - I'm going to pet store now with a water sample and I'm going to buy a test kit

lots of tinnie tiny white spots on chocolate oranda's tail and red streaks on orange fantail - I'm going to pet store now with a water sample and I'm going to buy a test kit
Get the API master kit, don't go overboard on ich meds yet.

Ok leaving soon, rounding up the kids to go to the pet store - before i go any advice?

My story

-while in 10 gallon large fish was rubbing his body on the gravel moving around fast and then he'd take a break and just sit on the bottom

- he now has white dots on his tail and fin - not large like salt (as the internet says) it's much finer - tinnie tiny specs not raised that much

- my orange fish doesn't itch herself but doesn't move much either and has 2 missing scales on the side of her belly and red streaks in her tail and one on her belly.

- oh and big guy stopped itching now hes just sitting on the bottom face down and body floating up

ughhhhhhh this is so depressing - please tell me what to do!

I'll wait to leave until i hear from someone ......... i have an XL chocolate oranda goldfish and a medium size orange fantail

They were both in an UN cycled 10 gallon for a week with frequent 30% water changes with water treated with Prime and Stress Coat - 5am today they looked terrible - not moving - I moved them to my 55 gallon that has only cycled for 24 hrs.

I'm reading up on ich (ick) and some say raise temperature to 82 and use aquarium salt --- other say that blue med stuff - but it will change my silicone seals blue - which would stink cause this is my new tank - i'll do it if it's going to save them - but i just need to know what to do!

Currently they are both sitting on the bottom doing nothing in the 55 gallon

Please Help my fishies! *

Woah, you really need to take a breath and relax a bit. Worry about the most important things first, the ich can come later as it's not life threatening early on in the infestation.

Get your ammonia tested, water change accordingly, and then go from there to treat for ich.

Back
Top Bottom